Daily Design

Started by
7 comments, last by KGodwin 17 years, 6 months ago
I am liking the "Bust out an XXX" threads recently. Can we start a subforum for design ideas/concepts with the same principles? Each day a new topic is started with some simple rules for design. The idea would be to put some ideas together quickly in an interesting way. There isnt a whole lot of differentiation in the gaming market today which makes it hard to be inspired. A forum like this with even 5 people consistently participating would generate quite a few ideas, and I think we would tend to see trends in our own way of thinking about games. This might force some of us to evolve our concepts into something bigger. Comments?
Advertisement
Seriously? No comments?
I think they fit fine in this forum. Too many sub-forums dilute participation.
Are you saying a sub-forum designed to help create genuine game concepts (or game-type concepts)? I've also been noticing that there's been a lack of actually intuitive games in the big leagues for quite some time now... Is that the point of it?
Quote:Original post by Dumptruck
I think they fit fine in this forum. Too many sub-forums dilute participation.

Ditto. If this ever gets half as active as the Lounge we'd need sub-forums but I doubt it will ever get that far...

@OP
I think it would be best if you got together 3-4 like minded people and turned out one (almost) complete game design doc a week. Or maybe at the beginning of the week have a core idea for those designs posted and have multiple people post their ideas at the end of the week with as complete a design document as they have time to do.

i.e.

Week of October 30th - Business - Any Platform - Nov. 5th the Design Docs show up
Week of November 6th - Fantasy RPGs - Any Platform - Nov. 12th the Design Docs show up

But eh, that's my two cents.
I agree with KGodwin: this probably works best for a small group of people, friends. I discuss game idea's with a few friends from time to time, and I'd say it helps fleshing them out. Posting on a large public forum as this is more suited for idea's in a more developed stage.

Anyway, if you're looking for a source of inspiration, you are aware of the Experimental Gameplay Project, right? :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
I agree with KGodwin: this probably works best for a small group of people, friends. I discuss game idea's with a few friends from time to time, and I'd say it helps fleshing them out. Posting on a large public forum as this is more suited for idea's in a more developed stage.

Anyway, if you're looking for a source of inspiration, you are aware of the Experimental Gameplay Project, right? :)

Just to be clear, I was saying do that on a public forum...people here seem willing to give lots of feedback even if it's not what you want to hear. =) Then again, NO ONE ever replies to my help wanted posts =0
Quote:Original post by KGodwin
@OP
I think it would be best if you got together 3-4 like minded people and turned out one (almost) complete game design doc a week. Or maybe at the beginning of the week have a core idea for those designs posted and have multiple people post their ideas at the end of the week with as complete a design document as they have time to do.

Good idea. Any takers?
Quote:Original post by NoPancakeMix
Quote:Original post by KGodwin
@OP

Good idea. Any takers?

Well since it's my idea sure =0 But probably not every week.

My two topic suggestions (start Friday and run it Friday to Friday ?) are:
Business
TBS Fantasy Game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement