Original Post
I get so frustrated at all these programmers trying to make AI way too complex. Using machine learning, Classification trees, and, dare I say it... ALGORITHMS? Here's what I say: make some variables representing characteristics in your character, i.e. joy, hunger, bravery, bowel capacity, whatever floats your boat. Then... make some goals in other variables and assign them to objects, characteristics, and priorities. Whenever a characteristic is below a level, say if joy is 0-1 and it's below .25, go to the assigned object(s), like a shiny doodad, and adjust your joy accordingly, but ONLY if the priority is higher than what he's already doing. It's as simple as that. Same (if not better) results as whatever else there is but with far less work. Another thing I'd like to address: RANDOM AI IS NOT GOOD AI! Characters have to be predictable (i.e. they hole up in their barracks, they go to bed at night, etc.) just like human players would be.