Sign in to follow this  

what's wrong with this?

This topic is 4077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to check if a line is filled with a value greater than 0. If some of the lines in the array is filled with those values, it's going to reset them. Check the following code:
        bool foundline=true;

for (int h=0;h<BOARDHEIGHT;h++) {        
            for (int w=0;w<BOARDWIDTH;w++) {        
                if (board[w][h]>0)
                    foundline=false;
            }

if (foundline==true) {                           
                // delete lines
                for (int i=0;i<BOARDWIDTH;i++) {        
                    board[i][h]=0;
                }
            } else
                foundline=true;
        }

I can't find anything wrong in this code, if I remove the if statement it works, but deletes everything. See anything wrong with it?

You're setting foundline to false whenever you detect a value that is greater than zero in a given line, thereby preventing the next loop from clearing the line.

Quote:
Original post by password
I'm trying to check if a line is filled with a value greater than 0. If some of the lines in the array is filled with those values, it's going to reset them. Check the following code:
When you say "it's going to reset them", do you mean just the values greater than 0 or all of them?

Quote:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I can't find anything wrong in this code, if I remove the if statement it works, but deletes everything. See anything wrong with it?
My best guess would be that you meant the first foundline=false; line to read foundline=true.

Also, if you want to reset values greater than 0, couldn't you do that in the first loop? As in:

for(int h=0; h < BOARDHEIGHT; ++h)
{
for(int w=0; w < BOARDWIDTH; ++w)
{
if(board[w][h] > 0)
{
board[w][h] = 0;
}
}
}

Quote:
Original post by templewulf
Quote:
Original post by password
When you say "it's going to reset them", do you mean just the values greater than 0 or all of them?

Quote:

My best guess would be that you meant the first foundline=false; line to read foundline=true.

Also, if you want to reset values greater than 0, couldn't you do that in the first loop? As in:

No, it's only supposed to delete a line if the whole line is full and I mean the values greater than 0.

You do not even need the foundline boolean:

for (int h = 0; h < BOARDHEIGHT; h++)
{
for (int w = 0; w < BOARDWIDTH; w++)
{
if (board[w][h] == 0)
goto out;
}
for (int i = 0; i < BOARDWIDTH; i++)
{
board[i][h] = 0;
}
out:
}

One of the few cases were goto makes sense :)

I'd split it into several small functions for readability. I've read the above and I think you mean if, and only if, every element in a line is >0, set the whole line to zero. Yes? (Tetris?)

int BW,BH; // boardwidth, boardheight

bool LineFull(int Y)
{
for(int X=0;X<BW;++X) if(Board[X][Y]<=0) return false;
return true;
}

void ClearLine(int Y)
{
for(int X=0;X<BW;++X) Board[X][Y]=0;
}

void CheckBoard()
{
for(int Y=0;Y<BH;++Y)
{
if(LineFull(Y)) ClearLine(Y);
}
}

Might seem like overkill but if it gets complicated by a future development of some kind, it'll be easier to update.

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
I'd split it into several small functions for readability. I've read the above and I think you mean if, and only if, every element in a line is >0, set the whole line to zero. Yes? (Tetris?)

Exactly..
The code works like I want to aswell, thanks!

This topic is 4077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.