New Piano Works...

Started by
3 comments, last by JGeer 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I have been working on a new piano solo site and was interested in some feedback (not exactly game music, but what the hell, everyone provides great feedback here). The site is located at: http://www.soundclick.com/pianosoulos All comments are welcome and much appreciated, thanks. GameGenie
Advertisement
Sounds cool!

You have been listening Chopin lately? ;)
so far, im only a little way through listening to tears of sorrow (while i ought to be composing too xD).
i must say there are two striking things here - melody, and rubato.
both of them VERY emotively done - although a greater dynamic range might suit this style of piece?

ooo i just got to the bit at about 1:10 where you leave us waiting on (and i wont be too surprised if im wrong about this) the sub-medient/6th chord of the piece?
xD i love it

kay, on from general fanning to crits.

the melody (although featuring very evocative moments) sometimes feels a little staggered and themeless - although this is completely untrue of my favorite section (2:20 - 2:50) where the sustaining of rhythmic ideas is genius, enough variation to stop disinterest, but enough cohesion to allow melody through sufficiently.

direction - although you've obviously made a concerted effort to bring a lot of movement into the piece, i sometimes get the feeling that exploring the sister - emotions to this melody/accompanyment style of melancholy would suit the piece well. a short contrapuntal interlude? perhaps a transposition to something more suggestive of major tonality, but obviously modal? (a major key with the 7th flattened?) arpegiated melody as well as accompaniment in a certain section?

playing - some of the louder notes in the melody sound too harsh for me (ie, very soft playing, then a very strongly accented note). these seem to come in unexpected places, and are immediately backed off - something that to me breaks the mood a little.

=) hit me back if you think i was being unfair about anything/was wrong about anything
Very nice

A comment about Tranquil Sea. There is a lot of discontinuity in the melody even after the first few measures. The discontinuous arpeggios lead very nicely into the mid section, but my mind was just begging the melody to flow smoothly there. It sounded like random fumbling around the bottom of each arpeggio with no plan to flow into the next. There seems to be a lot of speeding the tempo up and slowing down, almost like lunging through each expression. The mid section could benefit from keeping a steady tempo, and maybe a little more forte :) Awesome work though, with enough variety I actually think a soundtrack based exclusively on piano could fit into a game.
I listened to Tears of Sorrow and it's very nice. I really love the opening melodic material and I think you could develop it even more throughout the piece. I think the middle section meanders a little too much and it sounded like the pedal was getting a little *too* blurry at times.

Another (and maybe completely random) thought I had... or at least something I was feeling might be interesting... at some points it seemed like the music could've easily transitioned into a more spanish sounding piece... maybe even a flamenco type middle section. I think that would be really neat, to kind of energize the piece in the middle with that and then return to the haunting melancholy A theme like you do already.

I might be thinking this because it reminds me of a piece by Kostia called Girl From Barcelona. You should check it out. I think I have a CD of it here somewhere. Maybe I can post a recording of it.

-- Jonathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement