Newbie needs HELP

Started by
18 comments, last by XG08Zero 17 years, 5 months ago
Sorry, but making something like WoW with one person is just impossible. You need to ask yourself what you want. If you are really committed, you can spend the years it will take to learn programming, networking and graphics, and join an indy team with a reasonable chance of making an MMORPG (probably not WoW quality). If you just want to change some things about your favorite games, you should probably just make a mod.
Advertisement
If you're new to game development, then take it easy. Start with something simple as a tetris clone and work your way up. Starting work on a big, complex and labour-intensive project straight away isn't going to get you anywhere right now.

For your reference: I've got 6+ years experience with (FPS) level-design, 3+ years of programming, and some modelling/texture art experience. I'm working on a 2D platform game, relatively simple compared to the average MMORPG or current-gen shooter, but it's pretty complex for me already and it's taking quite some time and dedication. Without all this experience, I would've gotten stuck long ago and probably have given up - if I had found out how to start it at all. :)

Simian Man gives states interesting option: modding existing games. You don't need to be a programmer to do so, as many games nowadays come with a level-editor and other tools right away. It's a good opportunity if you want to get insight in what it takes to create and design a good game.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Umm well.... I was just doing some stuff and I notice I cant make a fps mmorpg.... I didt say I wanted to do that :P Umm by the way I found a good link

Also Can I use directX to make high grapghic games?

EDIT: Would this be good Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express (Beta 2)

Or is that crappy grapic stuff?
Ok is this real or fake http://www.gametutorials.com/gtstore/c-1-opengl-tutorials.aspx so basicly is it bullshit or real?

EDIT: Also, What any good compilers I have visual one but when I input opengl it doesnt work it says it cant find Directory gl/glux.h somthin like that

[Edited by - tauren12 on November 9, 2006 7:05:22 PM]
What would you consider fake? It certainly looks real from my point of view. Especially this part: "It is recommended that you have a solid understanding of the C/C++ language and basic understanding of the Win32 API before learning the OpenGL API." So, DO you know that stuff? If not, then you'll probably not understand what the tutorial is trying to teach you. Its like trying to learn Calculus without knowing how to add very well.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

I am going to attempt to answer your questions.

A) DirectX is used in the majority of commercial games, and I am 99.9% certain that it is the underyling 3d API behind WOW.

B) How a game looks, is determined by you or your teams skill at graphics and not the API. I can tell you that making "realistic" graphics is a very hard and time consuming process that takes great skill.

C) I would recommend and highly suggest that you forget the word MMORPG from your vocabulary. It takes a team of highly skilled, highly experienced people YEARS and tons of money (Thousands) to make an MMORPG. I am not saying that you can't someday get to the point where you can work on such a team, but you won't get there overnight or even in the next few years.

Start SMALL. I can't stress this enough. If you want to make progress and not waste time, you need to work on small projects. You do not possess enough experience to work on a massive project.
***Taurens glories moment turns into darth vaders mask***

Lol... Umm any good compiler for open gl And how do I nstall the headers after u give me one
So all we really need to acomplish here is a good compiler and lets also get it to work so I can go buy that 32 dollar tutorials
Python w/ PyOpenGL is the road to happiness. Also, double-posting is frowned upon.
Quote:Original post by tauren12
So all we really need to acomplish here is a good compiler and lets also get it to work so I can go buy that 32 dollar tutorials

No offense, but you really need to set realistic goals. We all doubt that you'll get a massive project like an MMORPG ever made with your current knowledge. Don't think that you can just start learning C++ and OpenGL. It takes alot of time to first learn C++, let alone OpenGL. Programming is no simple task, and requires alot more than ambition. I'm programming a single-player RPG that's taking alot of work to do. Alot of it is working well, but this wasn't easy. You just have to set realistic goals. Learn to program a game, not take multiple stabs at it until you finally give up- learn something...

sorry to put it bluntly, but you really should set realistic goals...
-----------------------AMD Sempron 3400+, 1.7Gb PC3200 RAM, PNY nVidia GeForce 7600GT Money Spent- $465.00runs FEAR at max settings! (1024x768)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement