how to simulate a controlable net environment?

Started by
5 comments, last by melodie 17 years, 5 months ago
i want to test the performence of my game system under a bad net environment,such as high latency, high rate of packet losing, etc.is there any good tool or way could do this?
Advertisement
You can add code to your network sending area to randomly drop packets, or to delay the sending by whatever time.

You could alternatively do the same in a stand-alone proxy server which forwards all the packets to the server with a delay, and again you can simulate packet loss.

[Edited by - rip-off on November 15, 2006 10:37:32 AM]
en...maybe it is a possible solution for the next version of the game. i really forgot to add these debug codes to the project. is there any individual tool can do this, for example, catch the packet from the networkcard directly then drop it or delay it before it submit to the application
You could spend 10 dollars on a Chinese hosting plan for one month. :)
Quote:Original post by melodie
en...maybe it is a possible solution for the next version of the game. i really forgot to add these debug codes to the project. is there any individual tool can do this, for example, catch the packet from the networkcard directly then drop it or delay it before it submit to the application

If you are testing on the loopback address on a windows machine, AFAIK no packet capturing tools can get the packet, so I highly doubt it.

However, there may well be a proxy server like the one I described made elsewhere, but Ive never looked into it.

What networking API are you using? I assume it must be lowish as many high level game oriented net libraries include the option to simulate loss and latentcy.

[Edited by - rip-off on November 15, 2006 6:28:24 PM]
Quote:Original post by Damon Shamkite
You could spend 10 dollars on a Chinese hosting plan for one month. :)

Haha I'm just passing by here, in this AWSOME website/forums, and keep getting great ideas!
:D !
Quote:Original post by rip-off
If you are testing on the loopback address on a windows machine, AFAIK no packet capturing tools can get the packet, so I highly doubt it.

However, there may well be a proxy server like the one I described made elsewhere, but Ive never looked into it.

What networking API are you using? I assume it must be lowish as many high level game oriented net libraries include the option to simulate loss and latentcy.

the api is winsock2, but i didn't find the option can simulate the case i need.en...i have reviewed the book <<windows network programming>> these days, and find a possible way to solve the problem, using spi. as the 14th chapter introduced. i have tried it a simple way. though it was far from usefull, it works.

proxy server is also a choice. our netmaster tell me that router can control the latency, bandwith, and packet loss easily, i'll try it later. thank you for your advice:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement