Sign in to follow this  

SCIP Videos

This topic is 4033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just thought some of you might be interested, this is Berkeley's full course on SCIP in RealMedia streaming video form: SCIP!!! each section is about 50 minutes long and might help to give some more understanding of the text (this is not meant at all to replace the reading) just found the link to the MIT videos as well in the stickied topic, and figured I'd add it here: MIT SCIP!!! I don't have exact dates on the Berkeley videos, but I'm pretty sure they're only a couple years old whereas the MIT ones are from 1985?

I've been watching some of the Berkley videos but I'm not sure what scheme spec they are using. I know the are using STk and I'm using DrScheme and it doesn't seem to matter which spec I choose I'm always missing some function or another. Most of the time it's functions like butfirst and bf. Any idea if I can get the system they are using without using the crap that is STk?

Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
I've been watching some of the Berkley videos but I'm not sure what scheme spec they are using. I know the are using STk and I'm using DrScheme and it doesn't seem to matter which spec I choose I'm always missing some function or another. Most of the time it's functions like butfirst and bf. Any idea if I can get the system they are using without using the crap that is STk?

If I recall correctly, this class used this version of Scheme.

Quote:
Original post by Colin Jeanne

Thats one of the versions I was using and it doesn't contain any sentence or word related procedures. Maybe they added those so they didn't confuse students by jumping into lists right away.

Quote:
Original post by tstrimp
Quote:
Original post by Colin Jeanne

Thats one of the versions I was using and it doesn't contain any sentence or word related procedures. Maybe they added those so they didn't confuse students by jumping into lists right away.

What do you mean 'sentence and word related procedures'? I dont have Real so I cant watch the videos so I dont know what procedures you're talking about. It might be one of the procedures that was discussed in a homework assignment for the course, in which case this is the current course website and the link "Library Files" is a directory which includes all of the Scheme code used in the class.

From my understanding they are just using:
first instead of car
butfirst instead of cdr
sentence instead of list
and words to represent items in a list.

Now that I've got that straight in my head I don't think I have any more problems (yet).

Interesting. When I took the course two years ago they were only using first instead of car and last instead of cdr. I believe STk implements these natively so it was easy for us. I never used butfirst, sentence, or words though. You might want to check the lectures to see if it mentions them. If not you could also grab a copy of Berkeley's version of STk to see if it knows the functions.

Edit: Actually, according to this document, there is a file which contains all of the Berkeley-defined procedures. If you one of the prebuilt binaries (or, I suppose, if you download the source) it will include these files. Here is the prebuilt version for XP. You want to use stk-simply

I took it spring 2003. If I remember, they use first/last/butfirst for character strings, and later on when they introduce lists, they use car and cdr. Maybe it's changed since then though.

I think most of the berkeley specific scheme functions are here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/downloads/simply/simply.scm

For sure it has first, butfirst, last, butlast, word, and sentence.

They're a bit complicated though, it might be better to just use the berkeley scheme when trying to follow the lectures, since I think that will load all this stuff when it starts up.

[Edited by - blarn on November 28, 2006 10:35:20 PM]

This topic is 4033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.