Original Post
So yeah, at this point it's just an idea I'm working on, and we all know what they say about ideas. I will surely make some obvious mistakes in this post due to my lack of technical expertise. Please bear with me. I'm planning on freeing up a significant amount of my time to devote to this project, and I'd like a bit of discussion on it. I am also planning on making this a low-tech niche game, so save the necessary MMO newb flames, for now, please. I'm not sure exactly what challenges ping/lag are going to produce, but the idea behind a Simultaneous Turn Based MMO is that the player has a certain small amount of time to designate his action(s) in the world, and then the server will compute the actions of all players and give results. I'm going to use X-Com as an example. Imagine you are playing X-com, but you have command of a single soldier or alien. You have 3 seconds to make your move, and in 2 seconds the server resolves your move compared with the moves of all other participants and displays the carnage. Now imagine the X-Com battlefeild is about the size of a county, with (I hope) skirmishes and operations taking place throughout. Now, the first point I need to make in anticipation of criticism, is that this world will not be as "persistent" as other MMO's are. The game will have numerous short-lived persistent worlds, from the small battle map loaded for 20 players in the lobby, to the 8-hour Saturday games for weekenders, and beyond, possibly. There will be character growth, but your characters will grow over numerous short-lived games. (Although I'm also planning on a "soft" permadeath) My largest problem areas in this design are the chain of command, defense of zones, and troop transport. All of this essentially adds up to players waiting around. If there is an outpost established by the blue team, my plan is to allow higher ranking blue team players to promise exp bonuses to newbs if they defend the site. Higher ranking combat specialists will probably do most of the search and destroy heavy lifting, but the newbs might still be waiting around. Of course, they might also be engaged in building/crafting activities (camp->outpost->base, or something), but the problem is waiting around. The chain of command would include something like high ranking players giving an order to mid ranking players to patrol an area, or take out a certain strategic resource of the enemy. I'm wondering how to handle commitment and numbers. Giving a player the chance to opt out of an assignment might lead to chaos in the chain of command (although a simple "do you accept? Y/N" might help), but I believe something is necessary to ensure that orders are followed, for those who wish to take a command path through the game. Now, if every turn takes 5 seconds, a player who finds himself defending a non-crucial area (assuming he has agreed to defend it), or a crafter who is making non-used goods in an area far from the front lines (in other words, players who are superfluous to the current game), will have to wait for the game to be over (or possibly some kind of secure logout system would be in place?) or be transfered to the front lines. 5 seconds a turn is probably more than most players would bear, even in a high speed troop transport. I guess teleportation might be a solution, but I'd rather avoid it. I was thinking that a player could log in with a second avatar at .5 exp (this is soft permadeath talking) in an area closer to the action, if he/she desired action, but this might break immersion. Related to this, it's hard to understand how to place units in an ongoing game. I had the idea that stronger zones of influence could generate more players (ie, a "camp" can draw 15 players/hour, an "outpost" can draw 30 players/hour), but having a last hour crunch of players could make or break a game. Well, I don't know, I thought I'd think on my keyboard for a bit and ask for input. Thanks.