WinME - Annoying changes, fixes?

Started by
3 comments, last by SikCiv 23 years, 1 month ago
Change 1: We all know MS made it so you couldnt boot into dos unless you use the bootdisk, BUT Ive seen WinME have the ''boot to DOS'' option on an OEM copy, and im sure there is a way to modify the configuration files in the consumer WinME version, but how? Maybe there is a command in msdos.sys, something like ''BootDos'' maybe? Change 2: Whats with the ''low of HDD space'' taskbar icon, its annoying because it comes up every 10 seconds and takes forever to load up and do nothing (sounds familiar). Is there a way to disable it? Change 3: Putting a WinME installation into another PC makes the system wait for nothing when it installs the drivers for the new devices, pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE and ending some of the CmdInst tasks sometimes resumes the driver installation, but sometimes I get that well-known blue screen resulting a crash and reboot - im used to it anyway. WinME should detect a different system board and create a new hardware configuration. I had no problems with 98 or SE doing this. Change 4: What happened to the Standard PCMCIA Card Modem driver? In Win98 you could insert a PCMCIA modem and the Standard drivers would install and work perfect, now it doesnt exist and you HAVE TO download the appropriate drivers. Using the standard 28800 driver installs but it wont see the Internet Protocol. Other than those problems its not a bad OS, cant wait for all the new bugs and annoyances in Windows XP

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
First off, you should never move a hard drive with the os on it from one comp to another as the primary harddriver. If you do, always reinstall the os on the new comp.

Anyways, WinME has worked extremely well for me and I am glad I have upgraded. And I have installed on other computers I am using at my office and works perfectly great on them too.

Possibility
WinME isn''t a pleasant experience is all I can say, I''m glad I have Win2K and Linux now. You might want to take a look at this, however. I''m not sure if it will help you though. There is a way to turn off most "new" features in WinME so that it resembles Win98 (except the added crashing and driver incompatibility that many people experience).

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
Besides having to do a little hunting for a few drivers, WinME has been nothing but fantastic on my machine. It loads quickly, runs pretty stable (I have had only 3 crashes since December), and shuts down nice and fast. (By the way, the 3 crashes were entirely my fault. Damn 30MB bitmaps in the clip board and many apps open).

I think my favorite feature of WinMe is the Zip file integration. It makes using Zip files even more intuitive that WinZip.

That''s all I have to say for now.

borngamer
Borngamer, that is WinME''s fault, no excuses for crashing just because it had to use a little virtual memory . In Win2K I''ve succesfully loaded 500+ frames from a 640x480 movie (virtual memory took a thrashing ) and it didn''t crash. I had the following programs running at the same time: Paintshop Pro 7, Animation Shop 3, Internet Explorer, and one or two Notepad Windows (it was one of the movies from Thief II ). I only have 128MB of RAM, so it isn''t like I''m running on some godlike computer.

It is always your OS''s fault that it crashed, never yours unless it tells you not to do something and you do it anyway. Drivers are sometimes excusable though, since they kind of make the OS faulty.

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement