Is it hard to get hired

Started by
23 comments, last by Tom Sloper 17 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by tsloper
Quote:Original post by VanillaSnake21
I hear that game programming is a very competetive profession and that because a lot of people want to do it its hard to find a job. Is that true.

Yes. It is hard. If you want to give up, that's OK. We don't want people who are worried if it's hard or not. "Weaklings need not apply."

(Note: I'll gladly answer the 2nd part of your question if you decide that you're not worried, or a weakling, after all.)

Im didn't mean hard in the meaning that you have to work a lot and know lots of stuff about programming, what I mean was that I would prefer not to spend all my college years studying Computer Sciece or Game Design and then ending up looking for a job for 3 years. Like one of the replies said that some companies don rarely hire new people. So no, im not scared to work for I want, cuz I really enjoy game prog, but I am scared of soing all of it for nothing.

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
I hear that game programming is a very competetive profession and that because a lot of people want to do it its hard to find a job. Is that true. And in general how would I start looking for a job if I've never worked in that field before. Thnx

If you have to ask how to look for a game programming job, you're not qualified for one.
Van wrote:
>Im didn't mean hard in the meaning that you have to work a lot and know lots of stuff about programming,

I knew what you meant. I cna raed! (~_^)

>what I mean was that I would prefer not to spend all my college years studying Computer Sciece or Game Design and then ending up looking for a job for 3 years.

That can happen, if you aren't talented enough or hardworking enough or simply either don't try hard enough or do "Stupid Wannabe Tricks" (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm).

>Like one of the replies said that some companies don rarely hire new people.

Do not let your fears rule your life. Read the Wisdom FAQ (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson47.htm).

>I am scared of soing all of it for nothing.

Read the Waste Of Time FAQ (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson51.htm).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by shwasasin
If you have to ask how to look for a game programming job, you're not qualified for one.

Oh, give me a break. What a load of bull.
Everything worth something is difficult to achieve in life. It's something you will begin to get used to. I agree with Sneftels last post; that being said some good places to find such jobs are websites like Gamasutra. Alternatively of course you can make friends with people currently in the field as you study, and then you might find getting a job easier.

Many programmers from what I have noticed will do game programming for AWHILE not usually forever. There are exceptions of course, after doing game programming they might switch careers to something less time consuming in the same field of study. Most game programmers that are good can get a programming job probably anywhere, if they try hard enough.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

Oh, give me a break. What a load of bull.

It's not that difficult to understand...Looking for a job is easy (ea.com, ubisoft.com, activision.com, sony.com), getting that same job is another issue.

Google should produce a good list of companies or check out IGN/Gamespot. If you cannot solve a simple problem like searching for a game company, how could you possibly be qualified to debug heap fragmentation issues, load time optimizations, and other complex tasks? Care to elaborate? I'm not trying to be a jerk, as I think it's great people want to get into the industry, but sometimes the truth needs to be said.
I hear that game programming is a very competetive profession and that because a lot of people want to do it its hard to find a job. Is that true. And in general how would I start looking for a job if I've never worked in that field before. Thnx

A few years ago, there was a commercial that asked the question, "How do I get a job without experience? How do I get experience without a job?" I think that's what you're asking, at least in the second part of your question. In my experience, there are two answers:

- Be lucky enough to find a company that will take a chance on a newbie. Internships can help a lot with this.
- Do some game development on your own, outside of class, so that you have something to show an employer that isn't just a class assignment. Either your own game, or help out with someone else's. If all you have to show is classwork then all we really have to look at is your GPA, and that doesn't tell us anything really.

It also helps if you get to know a few people in the field you want to be in. Don't underestimate the power of networking! Go to job fairs, trade shows, etc.
No it is not hard to get hired if you can proov that you are an experienced programmer. Good portfolio is a must. :)

If you are not very experienced, then you should not try aim to high. Try some summer trainee, etc. places first. After you have some experience under your belt it should not be hard to find a job. There is always need for programmers.
Sincerely,Arto RuotsalainenDawn Bringer 3D - Tips & Tricks
It's not that difficult to understand...Looking for a job is easy (ea.com, ubisoft.com, activision.com, sony.com), getting that same job is another issue.

Exactly. It's another issue. The world of the career search is quite a strange one for someone who isn't used to it, regardless of how great they are (or could be) as game developers. Give people at least a bit of credit: when someone says "how do I get a job" he probably doesn't mean "how do I use google to find a game studio, then click around until I find the email address for the HR person and the description of open positions and requirements". They mean "what can I do to stand out from the pack" or "what are some pitfalls I should avoid". Job hunting is not an exercise in pure problem solving. More than anything else, it's a social exercise. Sofia's response is a good illustration of this.

Sorry if my first reply was overly harsh (and I think it was). I just get rather irritated with what sometimes seems to be a culture of discouragement here when the topic of job hunting comes up. I understand the reasons for it, but I think at times we go too far in suggesting that newbies just give up now.
Quote:Original post by sofla
It also helps if you get to know a few people in the field you want to be in. Don't underestimate the power of networking! Go to job fairs, trade shows, etc.

Also don't be afriad to tell everyone you know that you are looking for your first job in the industry. Every now and then Uncle George has a friend who's a lawyer that advises some game company that just happens to be looking for an intern, programmer, or whatever. Those kinds of connections can open some otherwise difficult doors.

I once found myself in a meeting at a major developer/publisher because my financial advisor happened to know the company's music executive. Who would have guessed?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement