WoW Guild gets nasty

Started by
88 comments, last by Way Walker 17 years, 3 months ago
Honestly the most obscene part of that post is that it seems to be for a guild that isn't really established and hasn't done anything yet.

Requirements like that aren't uncommon in the 'hardcore WoW' world, but most guilds who have them have more than established a reputation for themselves to justifiably back it up.
Advertisement
Quote:
- You must play at LEAST 7-8 Hours a day. This is on a normal day not just leveling up. We are NOT a softcore fun casual guild. We are hardcore dedicated players and are only looking for others to join us.

Must be nice living in mommy's basement and not doing anything even remotely useful.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:
- You must play at LEAST 7-8 Hours a day. This is on a normal day not just leveling up. We are NOT a softcore fun casual guild. We are hardcore dedicated players and are only looking for others to join us.

Must be nice living in mommy's basement and not doing anything even remotely useful.

Yea, bet they are all virgins too huh?

/rolleyes

I play in a guild like the one that post is recruiting for, but we are already established with lots of major accomplishments under our belt.

Our players are the kind of hardcore players this guild is looking for. We have people that play that much, and are that dedicated. However, they are far from the stereotype you seem to be associating them with. For instance, you will find all of the following in our guild:

- A mother of 3 who works in IT and does a fenominal job raising her kids. How many of you had parents that would build rockets with you in the back yard and make sure all your homework was done and checked?
- A student at BYU almost done with his math degree, who works a part time job and is a father
- A highschool student taking 3 AP classes
- A 28 yr old investor who is currently 'semi-retired' in Argentina
- Several college students in various fields at various universities
- Several people with full time jobs including those who own and operate their own small business.

In fact, I can't think of anyone that has no job, doesn't go to school, and lives in their parents basement. The closest would be 2 people who make a living playing poker online (but they don't live with their parents).

The people in my guild are very diverse. They come from many different backgrounds and are in many situations. The contacts I've had with other similar guilds shows that this is very much the case. If you actually took the time to look into this a little bit, you would find that the player base who makes up the 'hardcore' group is radically different than your prejudices would lead you to believe.

In fact, pretty much the only thing my guild mates all have in common, is that they love the game, are very very dedicated people, are excellent at time management, and they are all willing to work for what they get, both inside the game and outside of it.

The people you find in (successful) guilds like this aren't the kind of people that you think they would be. They are much closer to the personality types that you associate with entrepreneurs and ivy league students.
Thats crazy. I have 2 characters, a level 45 Tauren Shamman and a level 60 Night Elf Hunter. They are both in cool end-game guilds. I run MC about 2 times a week with my guild on my 60 hunter. They dont set any kind of requirements other than "You have to be online when we start handing out invites for the Raid". I think it's more fun that way. It makes it more of a game, whereas if you were playing 7-8 hours a day you would just end up burning yourself out.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Quote:Original post by CTar
Guilds which requires some people to play at least 7 hours/day are usually serious enough not to actually encourage racial slurs, offensive language and tell people they can never listen to music.

Well, about the slurs, I agree, but as far as music, I've personally seen several guilds which had a no tolerance policy for anything not involving the raid.

I decided to delete my WoW account when the casual guild I was in started to raid 5x a week, with optional 20 man raids on the days off (never officially ran 20 man raids on raiding days, at least during designated raiding times), required you to attend at least 3 a week, with raiding hours 8 pm EST - midnight. And you were also suppose to contribute to the guild bank with materials or gold needed to help finance the raid for potions, repairs, etc.

As for if anyone was unemployed? Probably, I don't know. Several others had jobs, but I got burnt out really quickly, and decided that that much time invested in a game just wasn't worth it for myself.
Quote:Original post by DrjonesDW3d
The people you find in (successful) guilds like this aren't the kind of people that you think they would be. They are much closer to the personality types that you associate with entrepreneurs and ivy league students.
That's hard to believe. Wasting 8 hours a day gaming hardly leaves much time for anything productive. And what is a "(successful) guild" successful at? It's purely a waste of time. Having fun is one thing. But to make a career out of it is rather extreme.
Quote:Original post by GameCreator
That's hard to believe. Wasting 8 hours a day gaming hardly leaves much time for anything productive. And what is a "(successful) guild" successful at? It's purely a waste of time. Having fun is one thing. But to make a career out of it is rather extreme.

Golf is "just a game"

Is Tiger woods wasting his time? He is after all just playing a game, and thus not really doing anything productive, unless you count helping to sell products for his advertisers.

What about people who spend tens of thousands of dollars building hotrods in their garage. Are they wasting time?

What about people who spend hundreds of dollars on M:TG cards and compete at multiple tournaments every week. Are they wasting their time?

This is basically the point I am trying to make. People who haven't been in this situation rarely understand the motivations for doing so.

To many of us, this is not simply a game. It's not like WC3 or Tony Hawk or something we do when getting home from work/school just to pass the time. It is much closer to a hobby or competing in some organized event.

There is a VERY large community of people who play this game who compete with each other for various milestones. Blizzard releases a new dungeon, and hundreds of guilds charge inside it in an effort to be the first or second or whatever guild to beat a boss or complete some other goal. It's just like competing in anything else, whether it's chess or tennis or a programming competition.

We might just disagree on some fundamental points, but IMO if you have a goal, and set out to accomplish that goal, it's not a waste of time. By your logic, pretty much anything people do for recreation is a waste of time. I disagree.

As for spending 6-8 hours a day doing something not leaving much time for anything 'productive.' It just comes down to time management. You might not be able to comprehend how people are able to do this, but that doesn't mean they can't. I know people that are living proof that you are wrong in your assumption.
i think that 6/8 hours a day not only too much but also,unhealthy(go RSI!)
but also, i don't know how competitive wow can be, i wish i had that much time :PP

either way the other rules ain't nowhere that bad, in fact i wish i had some of them in a few guilds i played with in some mmos :P
"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"
I play in a guild like the one that post is recruiting for, but we are already established with lots of major accomplishments under our belt.

Accomplishments? Exactly what have you accomplished? Accomplishments are the sort of thing you take to a job interview to say "look, this is what I have done, I am productive, efficient, and talented." Accomplishments are the sort of thing you tell your grandkids about "Have you kids heard the one about the time I built a most incredible machine for a most incredible task that forever impacted society?"

Here's the truth, kiddo (even if you're 45 years old, acting like this makes you a kid), in 5 years nobody is going to be playing WoW. Blizzard will have moved on to something new. Gamers will have moved on to something new. And nobody is going to care if you killed Nefarian or whatever. All of your "accomplishments" will be for naught. You will have absolutely nothing to show for your 65+ hours a week on this game.

This is a serious problem with the current generation. It's part of a greater problem I've began to notice within the last 3 years. Today's generation is addicted, not necessarily chemically (though that happens far more often today than previously), but more importantly psychologically. I have seen far too many kids roll over and take shit from "the authorities," be it school administration, work, or the police, and never seek justice. They would rather sit at their computers and whine about it on LiveJournal or MySpace than take a risk on doing the right thing. The Powers That Be have won, they have bred an apathetic generation.

Whatever happened to protesting? Students are getting university permission to stage protests these days, because they are afraid of getting kicked out of school if they don't. What the hell?!?!? That's the entire point! You're willing to risk your future for what you believe is RIGHT!

But if they just go along to get along, then they won't be bothered and can get back on AIM or FaceBook or WoW for just another day.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:

Yea, bet they are all virgins too huh?

/rolleyes

Our players are the kind of hardcore players this guild is looking for. We have people that play that much, and are that dedicated. However, they are far from the stereotype you seem to be associating them with. For instance, you will find all of the following in our guild:

- A mother of 3 who works in IT and does a fenominal job raising her kids. How many of you had parents that would build rockets with you in the back yard and make sure all your homework was done and checked?
- A student at BYU almost done with his math degree, who works a part time job and is a father
- A highschool student taking 3 AP classes
- A 28 yr old investor who is currently 'semi-retired' in Argentina
- Several college students in various fields at various universities
- Several people with full time jobs including those who own and operate their own small business.

In fact, I can't think of anyone that has no job, doesn't go to school, and lives in their parents basement. The closest would be 2 people who make a living playing poker online (but they don't live with their parents).

The people in my guild are very diverse. They come from many different backgrounds and are in many situations. The contacts I've had with other similar guilds shows that this is very much the case. If you actually took the time to look into this a little bit, you would find that the player base who makes up the 'hardcore' group is radically different than your prejudices would lead you to believe.

In fact, pretty much the only thing my guild mates all have in common, is that they love the game, are very very dedicated people, are excellent at time management, and they are all willing to work for what they get, both inside the game and outside of it.

I call shenanigans.

Quote:

I dare you to show me one person who plays a minimum of 49 hours /week of WoW and is a "successful" person who isn't living off the teat of a spouse/parents/government.

Remember: that's 49 hours MINIMUM.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement