The infamous question.. PC or Mac?

Started by
9 comments, last by kordova 17 years, 3 months ago
Hey.. ive heard that the mac is the only way to go with Developing and editing and all of that.. but is it really that much better? is it easier and cheaper to go with a PC and get just as good of results? ive never usued a mac before.. but if they are like what i heard about them they are great for that stuff. i would like to know your opinions because im planning on getting a new pc but dont know if i should go with a mac.. thanks -TYler-
Advertisement
I recommend you go visit an apple store or even a compusa/bestbuy and check out the macs/pc's for yourself and find one that suits your needs.
To quickly answer your questions:
#1 Yes final cut pro is supposed to be the best for editing movies and has been used in just about every movie ever made. What's funny as hell is when someone ask me for a copy of final cut pro for their pc. So if you need to run final cut pro you need to buy a mac since it only runs's on macs last time I checked.
#2 Well I've personally used Xcode the development tools that come with macs and it leaves alot to be desired but unless you have need to write directx apps anything you can develop on a pc you can pretty much do on a mac especially since macs also support most linux apps.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
At the end of the day all that matters is that you are comfortable with your environment.

(I wrote a long post before realizing I was in the Music area :\)

It's pretty much preference. I've heard that Logic is much better to use than Adobe Premiere (I think that's it's name). But both are very powerful and capable programs. I'd download demos or visit stores to try them out before deciding.

There is Apple GarageBand which is a nice audio program to get started with that is free with new Macs. It comes with lots of premade loops as well as the ability to record instruments and apply effects. I use it for my personal music recording.

Quote:is it easier and cheaper to go with a PC and get just as good of results?

That's not really accurate. You will only get the results of your own work and skill. The hardware won't make any difference. As for cost, depends still. The Apple iMac is a very good deal (being that it's a monitor/computer in one small package), but the Mac Pro is mainly for the Big Guys. You can always find PCs for more and less than Macs.

Just remember though, it's personal preference. If you are using for things other than work, I personally prefer OS X and the Apple applications I got with my Mac. I'm a coder, so I also have a Windows PC (due to my Apple not being Intel based) to work with XNA, but I have done coding work on my Mac as well.

Quote:Original post by daviangel
I recommend you go visit an apple store or even a compusa/bestbuy and check out the macs/pc's for yourself and find one that suits your needs.

Agreed.

Quote:#2 Well I've personally used Xcode the development tools that come with macs and it leaves alot to be desired

That's only preference really. From my experience getting started with coding on a Mac with Xcode was much easier than dealing with the horrendous Microsoft Visual Studio which required too much extra work and random problems and changes in C++ to be easy for a beginner. But I digress, this is in the music area.

As you can see, you'll find both sides of it. I'd say the most important thing to consider is whether or not you'll use it for other things and which system you like doing those things in.

It depends...

If you want a computer designed to let you poke around inside, Apple's only suitable model is the "Mac Pro" series. This is the only model that comes in a traditional 'tower' case with expansion slots and the like.

The Mac mini, iMac and laptops are essentially 'closed boxes' and not designed for expansion by end-users. (I.e. you can update the RAM and maybe the hard disk, but not a lot else.)

However, it should be noted that the current Macs can run both OS X _and_ Windows now. They'll run Windows natively, unlike older G4 / G5-based ("Power...") models, since the current machines use the same Intel architecture as most normal PCs.

Ultimately, you'll have to decide what it is you *need*, as opposed to what makes you drool. A fully-pimped Mac Pro will be equally awesome at running Windows as OS X, but it certainly won't be cheap.

Caveats:

1. The Mac Pro models are not sold with displays. (Apple's high-end market is used to specifying its own displays.)

2. Macs do not come with Windows XP pre-installed. You will need to obtain a full version of Windows XP SP2 for this. (Some resellers do offer customised Macs with Windows already installed for you, but this isn't something Apple offer as standard.)

Speaking for myself, I own an Athlon64-based PC, (dual-booting XP and Vista RC); an ageing G5-based 20" iMac, and a PowerBook G4. Although the PC is plenty fast enough, I have found myself using the Apple kit for my day-to-day work as I prefer its GUI design philosophy over that of Windows. (Though I suspect I'm biased; my first computer with a GUI was an Atari STFM. It wasn't nicknamed the "Jackintosh" for nothing.)

It comes down to a fundamentally subjective opinion. Go find a showroom with some Macs in it and try them out. If you love them, fine. If you hate them, also fine.

Regards,

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
wow..thanks for the information.. except there is one problem.. i live in pretty much a hick town. in the good ol' Upper Pennisila of Michigan. so there isnt anywhere near me that has computers that i can try out. and i dont know of any friends who have one. I'll do my best to look for one to try out. again thanks.
Actually, if you can afford it I suggest you get a mac since I had forgotten that all new macs are running intel processors now so you can have the best of both worlds now if you dualboot with windows and macosx!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
The argument that Macs are "more expensive" is not really relevant as you are getting what you pay for. Google "macs more expensive" for tons of comparisons.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro with Parallels running OS X with Linux and Windows XP. You do not have to dual boot as you can run them in a window or fullscreen with this. I find it very convenient when developing cross-platform applications and using software that is developed specifically for Windows or Linux.
Quote:Original post by kordova
The argument that Macs are "more expensive" is not really relevant as you are getting what you pay for. Google "macs more expensive" for tons of comparisons.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro with Parallels running OS X with Linux and Windows XP. You do not have to dual boot as you can run them in a window or fullscreen with this. I find it very convenient when developing cross-platform applications and using software that is developed specifically for Windows or Linux.

Educational discounts can also help the price of a mac system, assuming they are applicable.
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Quote:Original post by kordova

Valid points, but if he's mainly interested in music and already has an investment in PC software (as I assume), it makes little sense to jump into OS X just for the hell of it. Logic Pro isn't cheap and doesn't makes any sense if you're already familiar with Cubase or Sonar. Decent PCs can definitely be had for less money than an iMac -- the cheapest Mac model I'd advise for music work --and will be quite capable of running his existing software.

Granted, the PC probably won't look as cool as an iMac, but at least you'll have the option of adding a PCI (or PCI Express) audio expansion card instead of being forced to buy a more expensive external box that connects through Firewire or USB 2.

The GUI philosophies of Windows and OS X are also very different and I do know people who simply cannot abide one or the other. It's far, far better to spend a little bit of money up-front to research the problem than to end up with a Mac you only ever run Windows on. If there are no convenient shops nearby, try internet cafés or libraries; some may have Macs. Alternatively, see if there's a Mac User's Group nearby.

(I'm assuming you already know Windows.)

Finally, Apple are expected to launch a new OS X version, codenamed "Leopard", within the next few months. (Some time in April / May seems the most likely release window.) I'd advise waiting until June-ish as there are likely to be some updates, new models and other odds and ends released to take advantage of the new features. Do NOT buy a Mac now or you'll be kicking yourself, as I did, within a few months.

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
I had the opportunity to go with a Mac but chose to stick with a PC. Macs are great computers and can do some incredible things, but in the end I chose to go with what I knew. I've been a PC user my entire life and I can trouble shoot, update, replace and install parts and have more tools already purchased for a PC.

I've been able to have a steady workflow using PC for years and so I decided to stick with what I was comfortable with. In the end, that is the most important thing: what are you comfortable with (assuming the machine (Mac or PC) can perform what you need it to.) Some people can do more on Macs, other PC.

In the last 10 years PCs have made long strides in the area of music production and there is more flexiblity and power on PCs now. Plus when you consider that more companies make parts for PC the supply and demand helps the consumer save cash.

I already have Sonar 5 Studio, Acid Pro 4, Soundforge 8, Project 5 v.2 and many other PC only programs and hardware.

Finally, I've heard that Macs are not quite as upgradable as PCs are in the long run. This may or may not be true. I'm not sure, but when buying a computer for my home studio, I'd rather get something that can be upgraded in five years and stay competitive with technology.

Perhaps when I get some more cash, I'll buy a secondary Mac computer.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement