Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

need a 2d mmorpg maker

Started by monkeyofevil Jan 16, 2007 at 7:33 PM 12 replies 7.6k views
Original Post
monkeyofevil
monkeyofevil
im a wannabe game designer. i want to make an mmorpg, however, i dont want to spend any money at all. heres what i want: - an engine that requires NO scripting, optional is okay, but i want to make a quest without having to code it. I am fine with going into files and rearranging info. - a 2d engine, 3d is too complicated. I want something simple. -uh, basically something a complete noob could use without having to learn anything new. now before you go flaming me, heres why i have these preferences: - i already have a live action rpg game that me and my friends play. it started out as a joke but we seriously got into it and started getting more players. surprisingly we have 12 already. pretty good for a group of 14 year olds. however its getting hard to keep track on paper so we need something that comes with a server/client. we only need something compatible with about 20 people. - i already tried konfuze, eclipse, and others like it but in the end to make quest i needed to know how to code. - im only 14, and due to sports, rotc, school etc., i dont have time to learn code and this is basically a non-profit hobby of mine. if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. -thanks in advance
Funkymunky
Funkymunky
for anything decent you're going to need to learn to code.
monkeyofevil
monkeyofevil
i dont need anything decent, just something simple enough to make a 2d morpg that can have at least 20 players. nothing real fancy.
ianp622
ianp622
There are going to be a bunch of people who are going to come here and insult you and make fun of you for a number of reasons. I'm trying to be helpful by saying you might not want to come back to this thread.

These are the reasons why people will start flaming:

1. You need to be able to make a couple regular games (like maybe about 20) before you learn how to make an MMORPG.
2. I don't understand why you don't want to use Konfuze and Eclipse.
2b. People here don't like game makers much, probably because they (and I do too) find enjoyment in knowing that they made a game the old-fashioned way.
3. You can't make a game with neither coding nor scripting, unless you use GameMaker.
4. Live action roleplaying experience doesn't really translate into computer game RPG making experience.
5. You'll probably be redirected to this page:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=411552
Which includes a funny comic.
6. This should be in the For Beginners forum.
7. I don't understand how you would not have time to code but would have time to create images, rules, and animations. I think coding is the easy part for simple games.

If you actually have an interest in making games, I suggest learning how to program first. Sometimes programming knowledge can even help you use game making programs better. I wish you luck in whichever path you choose to take, whether you go with a game maker or learn how to code.
Crypter
Crypter
Quote:

an engine that requires NO scripting, optional is okay, but i want to make a quest without having to code it.

How do you expect to create quests without scripts and/or code?

Quote:

uh, basically something a complete noob could use without having to learn anything new.

You will still need to learn the engine that you choose [smile]

There is no such thing as an "MMORPG maker" nor an "MMORPG engine". Also, if you want your game to support only about 20 players, it is not coinsidered an MMO. If this is true, why not add networking support to the game? Of course, this requires coding..

Also, mangement of true MMORPGs can cost upwards to several thousand $$, depending on the game.

Quote:

3. You can't make a game with neither coding nor scripting, unless you use GameMaker.


This statement implies that GameMaker is a requirement--which is not true. Did you mean either coding and/or GameMaker?

Unfortanly, I do agree with ianp622 about people flaming--so be ready for the heat [smile]

Good luck with your game, though!

Ravuya
Ravuya
Moving to For Beginners.
Eddy999999
Eddy999999
Ok, first of all, as far as I know, there is no game maker which can create MMORPG's. A couple of them may have networking capabilities, which is not the same as making an MMO.

"pretty good for a group of 14 year olds."

Well, I'm 14, and I program. I've already made a text-based MMORPG (Forbidden Gates), and I'm working on another right now (Kalgoron). I also know VB6, and a little bit of C++, so don't try to tell me that its pretty good "for your age", because age doesn't matter.

If you really want to make an MMORPG. Heres my suggestion. Learn to code. Create a couple small tic-tac-toe, or Tetris like games, then create a simple 2D single-player RPG or two, and then you can start with your MMO. It won't be easy though. Another option would be to try to find a hobbyist programmer who is looking for a game idea and has the ability to create your MMO. If it was text-based and I didn't have another project at the moment, I would volunteer to do it.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
monkeyofevil
monkeyofevil
actually I was just seeing if anyone knew of such a thing or if it existed. sorry i gave it a shot in the dark. and how does live action rpg gaming/making translate into computer making rpg experience, it doesnt. i never said it did. you all are assuming i know nothing of this. i looked on the internet for hours today looking for an engine i prefer. i couldnt find it so i figured, what the hell, ill take a shot in the dark and see if anyone knew of one. were my preferences too demanding, yes. if i honestly need to I will learn how to code. but I will do that as a last resort. seeing as how this engine doesnt exist I guess Im going to learn how to code.

oh and to answer the question on how i dont have time to code but i have time for everything else:
me and two of my friends do that at lunch and in the middle of class. does my school have a class to learn coding of some sort. probaly. but i didnt know of it and didnt take it this year. and i cant just go to the library and start to code, or even learn considering our school has a strict server that blocks such things.

now i realize that most people here are coders. but i stated im a noob, so all you had to do was tell me what im looking for didnt exist. instead i got criticized for just about everything i wrote. **** you.

Oh, you can just make my account invalid or whatever on the forum now. I wont be needing it.
Hushed
Hushed
Lol, how about we answer his question? Regardless if people will flame him. Thought this community was more mature than flaming. Guess I was wrong.

A nice, simple engine, PlayerWorlds, is located here.
www.PWReborn.com

Though, youve tried some other engines, I think PW will be your best bet, though its not powerful, I think it can create what your looking for.


wodinoneeye
wodinoneeye


If you dont do some kind of scripting you will be stuck using someone elses precanned game mechanics (only setting data and mode switches to activate sets of behaviors and interactions). There are game building systems like that.

You should seriously consider learning 'scripting' to get closer to what you want.
Scripting is not full blown programming but does allow you to shape/manipulate a games logic to make game mechanics closer to what you would want. There are game engines which use scripting to allow the user to combine and customize supplied components (the hard (programming) parts of the engine are already done saving you that work).


You have years ahead of you, and eventually you will get tired of trying to force other peoples pre-canned solutions to do what you want.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
trivisma
trivisma
Quote:
Original post by ianp622
There are going to be a bunch of people who are going to come here and insult you and make fun of you for a number of reasons. I'm trying to be helpful by saying you might not want to come back to this thread.

These are the reasons why people will start flaming:

1. You need to be able to make a couple regular games (like maybe about 20) before you learn how to make an MMORPG.
2. I don't understand why you don't want to use Konfuze and Eclipse.
2b. People here don't like game makers much, probably because they (and I do too) find enjoyment in knowing that they made a game the old-fashioned way.
3. You can't make a game with neither coding nor scripting, unless you use GameMaker.
4. Live action roleplaying experience doesn't really translate into computer game RPG making experience.
5. You'll probably be redirected to this page:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=411552
Which includes a funny comic.
6. This should be in the For Beginners forum.
7. I don't understand how you would not have time to code but would have time to create images, rules, and animations. I think coding is the easy part for simple games.

If you actually have an interest in making games, I suggest learning how to program first. Sometimes programming knowledge can even help you use game making programs better. I wish you luck in whichever path you choose to take, whether you go with a game maker or learn how to code.


http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=284187


Thats the reason why no one should.
Crypter
Crypter
Quote:

i looked on the internet for hours today looking for an engine i prefer.

What type of engine are you looking for? Your original post was vauge in explaining the engine you would like to use. How do you expect to use an engine without any programming?

btw, a "Game Engine" is not a "Game Maker". I believe you are looking for the former. If so, a few members here have posted several game maker tools you could try using.

If you want the latter (ie, game engine), you *will* need to know how to code.

Quote:

now i realize that most people here are coders. but i stated im a noob, so all you had to do was tell me what im looking for didnt exist.

Ever wonder *why* most people in a game development forum are coders? Also, a couple members here (including myself) have told you exactally that.

Quote:

Oh, you can just make my account invalid or whatever on the forum now. I wont be needing it.

Most people are here to help--not bash. Some of the suggestions here I am sure will help you. If not, elabrate your original post, and explain exctally what you are looking for.

Good luck with the project, though.
SilentKiller
SilentKiller
www.byond.com

It has scripting, but it has everything else you're looking for, you wont be able to get what you want without some sort of scripting.

If you need help getting started feel free to drop me a line, my email is in my profile (I use that email for MSN as well)
Ravuya
Ravuya
I generally link people to this page when they have MMORPG questions.

A commercial-grade MMORPG is an extremely large undertaking, and involves years of game development experience mixed in with years of systems implementation and support knowledge. It costs a lot of money to build and run.

Most freeware MMORPGs that are popular have also spent a lot of money; not necessarily to develop the game, but certainly to purchase the hardware, support, staff and free time required to continue supporting the game and keep it running. There's a robust series of articles by a member of GDNet starting here, if you wish to have an idea of the kind of difficulties you'll go through for even a relatively small initial undertaking.

I would personally set my sights lower, learn a programming language or two, and build smaller games so you can gain experience. After a couple of years of experience, you should know much better what your own capabilities are like and be better able to start on a project of this size.

We're not trying to bash, but you should recognize that there's not going to be a magic game development tool that will fall out of the sky and grind out MMORPGs like sausages. If there were, there'd be lots more.

Nothing valuable comes without hard work; if you want the value you have to expend the effort. In addition, development experience will help as you proceed through your education and into the workplace, so it's worth learning as a side skill, just like any other.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.