Adventure games and scripts !!

Started by
4 comments, last by Akura 24 years, 4 months ago
I also had some problems when I was trying to figure out how to make such an engine. My idea was exactly like yours, about the stuff on creating a script file that the designer could write on an external program and stuff...I guess it would become slow sometime because it would have to read everything everytime you changed the room, scene and stuff. But what are the special features that can't be implemented?

Bout the other question, I loved Grim Fandango, as I loved all LucasArts adventure games (dott, mi1, mi2, mi3, ft, sammax, dig, indyatlantis...). But nevertheless, I think the 2D adventure games are much more fun, all the cartoons and stuff. Not to count that they don't need computer monsters to run... I really think 2D adventure games are better.

Now, I know it's very off-topic, but are you Brazilian? 'Cause I'm am, and it appears (because of your name) that you are too. We could discuss it better...

Advertisement
I'm thinking of making an RPG and have encountered also this kind of problem, especially with all these talking people. I had thought of a solution though...
There are 256 'events' (maybe more), all bools (or code them binary if you want). Each man has a number of speech lines each followed by specific events. But this can be kind of hard when 'the field' must completely change.
Maybe changing the field and write the 'field.dat' with the gamers savefile?
Well...

After some pondering I've decided to go to the script oriented thingy, but not like a text file or anything, imagine klick n play, you have the basic scene and then put the objects with small script in them, i think it is the best choice )

now, im not brazilien, im portuguese ) so mail me (cause now i cant send any mail, not at home) and ill mail u back

later dudes

bruno sousa

It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
The way that most MUDs accomplish this is through the use of a scripting language and a parser in the game that at runtime converts the script into function calls using a handwritten interpreter. From this point all of the scripting functions take parameters and to add new events all you need to code it. You can get extremely complex with this. Save the scripts as text to your NPC object. At certain points in the game loop or after events call the scripts using the interpreter. The interpreter can then process the script and respond appropriately.

See SMAUG 1.4 MUD source code for an example of this. The mob scripting in this engine is enough to get you started.

Kressilac www.smaug.org I think?

------------------
Derek Licciardi

Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
Hi !

Im writing and adventure game like doot or sam n max and ive having a little problem doing the main engine. My problem is the following : Some objects only appear when something has happen, other can only used with special things and all that stuff, this is not to do hardcoded but it shall be hell if it is hardcoded, so I decided to write a scripting engine where I can make all of this options in a separate script from the main .exe but this is also very hard to do and then i had to make a scene editor and all that stuff.

my idea was something like this

Scene
-Objects
--bla bla bla (object stuff)
-NPCs
--bla bla bla (NPCs stuff)
-bla bla bla (otherr stuff)

this way it would be easir for the person writing the story, he coould design the scenes in a external program and then the main eexe would take care fo it, but this would build an generic engine and some effects and special features we want to implement cant be done this way.

any ideas how other games are being done ??
or any ideas how it should be done ??

thanks a bunch

(does anyone here think 3d adventure games have future ?? 'cause i certanly dont and maybe i must program one ;( )

bruno sousa

It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
You can also write a 'script compiler' that works just like any other compiler but generates arbitrary bytecode that you made up. You're still using an interpreter of sorts, you just don't have to worry about parsing or an obscure runtime error, and it's alot faster.

And if you need to do really crazy stuff, there's nothing wrong with having a script command that runs a hardcoded command like execute("universe implodes"). It also gives the programmers a chance to double check if and when that crazy stuff is needed.

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement