Equation of a Square?

Started by
22 comments, last by Cornstalks 12 years, 5 months ago
yeah, as mbaitoff says above, to the extent that there is one, wouldn't the "equation of a square" be the limit of

x^n + y^n = 1

as n approaches infinity?

Anyway for practical purposes you can use x^n + y^n = 1 as the equation of a square by choosing a very large value for n. These sorts of shapes are known as "super ellipses". For example check out the picture of the squircle in the wikipedia article. It will get more square-like as n gets bigger.
Advertisement

It's discontinuous (it has corners)

It is continuous, it's just not smooth, and therefore not differentiable.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Am I the first to have noticed that the thread is from 2007? Because normally someone would have mentioned this!

Am I the first to have noticed that the thread is from 2007? Because normally someone would have mentioned this!

Yes. Yes you are. Thanks. Thumbs down to the necromancer. Especially since that's the only post he's made.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement