DevIL's lib flag

Started by
4 comments, last by jouley 17 years, 2 months ago
I have been making a simple test program that utilizes SDL and OpenGL. Now I'm trying to integrate DevIL into it. I was wondering if anyone here knew the flags to use DevIL, ILU, & ILUT libs. Thus far, I have: -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -lopengl32 -lglu32 What do I have to add there to get the libs to link properly with my program. Also, how do I find out the flag for an API, so I don't have to ask this again. Thanks for any help you can provide. ;)

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Advertisement
The libraries necessary for DevIL are DevIL.lib, ILU.lib, and ILUT.lib. Following the convention set forth in your post (compiling with mingw, I assume, which seems to consist of a "-l" followed by the name of the library, without the ".lib" extension), you should probably just add
-lDevIL -lILU -lILUT
to your linking preferences. You should put the libraries in your system's libraries folder, or tell the compiler where to find them (I'm at a loss on that one).

I'm not familiar with mingw, myself, so this may be off. Still, though, it's worth a shot.
-jouley
Problem is, I tried those, and it still complained.

How, exactly, did it complain?

Also, after some brief googlizing, it seems that lots of folks have trouble compiling / linking DevIL with mingw, and nobody had any answers. On DevIL's "about" page, they don't actually mention mingw as being a supported compiler:
Quote:Compilers that can compile DevIL or use it include Djgpp, MSVC++, Linux gcc, Delphi, Visual Basic, Power Basic and Dev-C++.

To me, all this spells trouble...
But I'm using Dev-C++, and that is layered on top of MinGW.

Quote:Original post by n00body
But I'm using Dev-C++, and that is layered on top of MinGW.

Ah. Right. After a little more searching, I think this may be your best bet. There was also this solution, but it seemed a little roundabout. The latter brings up a good point, though -- why Dev-C++? It was free, then, but so is Visual Studio (Express) now.

-jouley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement