Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What type of hat does Link (of Zelda fame) wear?

Started by Extrarius Feb 24, 2007 at 5:37 PM 13 replies 32.4k views
Original Post
Extrarius
Extrarius
What type of hat does Link (of Zelda fame) wear? I'm not sure why, but this random question popped into my head and it's been bugging me. I've gone through lists of hat types on wikipedia and googled a bit, but I haven't found anything close. Does that type of hat even have a specific name? For those that haven't played any of the games, seen any of the merchandise, and are otherwise unaware of the character:
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
ViLiO
ViLiO
I suppose if you were to go by the Zelda game "The Minish Cap", you could say it was a cap, but to be honest, I'd just call it a hat or a even a hood [cool]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Avatar God
Avatar God
Huh. That is interesting - I guess I'd never seen anything like it outside of Zelda.

Also, the Minish cap refers to the little people (the Minish), though, not to the type of hat.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
ViLiO
ViLiO
Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Also, the Minish cap refers to the little people (the Minish), though, not to the type of hat.
Sorry, I may have been a bit unclear, but what I was getting at was the use of the word "Cap" and not those little Minish people [wink]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Extrarius
Extrarius
Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Huh. That is interesting - I guess I'd never seen anything like it outside of Zelda.[...]
It's in all kind of cartoon fantasy. For example, the dwarfs in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" wear something very similar.

It's also somewhat similar to the hat Santa Clause wears.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
BBB
BBB
In Swedish its called a "Luva"
Extrarius
Extrarius
Quote:
Original post by Cypher19
You were probably looking for a more exotic word, but I think pointy hat is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy_hat
Pointy Hat isn't much more specific than hat (well, maybe cuts it down to 1/3).
It's fairly similar to a Phrygian cap except the tip isn't pulled forward, and it's not too different from a Gugel except that it doesn't have the hood part.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
It's a sack. It's where he keeps his hookshot.

I think the Snow White dwarf hat is the closest thing to it. A little digging will probably get some romanian word or something.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
I've always called it an "elf hat", although only to myself. I've seen it frequently on depictions of European style elves (the little guys who make toys for Santa and mend shoes, not the orc slaying kind). As has been mentioned it's similar to the Santa hat but without the pom-pon. I think the elves in the Twinsen game wore one of these too, as does the kid I drew for my avatar [smile].

I don't know what proper name it goes by though, sorry.
alnite
alnite
I always thought it's a cone hat. You know, like wizard cone hat, except it doesn't have stars and moons.
Don Carnage
Don Carnage
Quote:
Original post by alnite
I always thought it's a cone hat. You know, like wizard cone hat, except it doesn't have stars and moons.

It is a wizard cone hat. The stars and moons are on the inside.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
Dim_Yimma_H
Dim_Yimma_H
Quote:
Original post by BBB
In Swedish its called a "Luva"

I would also say it's a "luva" since it can be a hood, but it can also be cap-like since it doesn't have to be tied to a cape or a sweatshirt. I think that the hood Link wears is quite similar to the hood that Robin Hood (the legend) is often depicted wearing. But there are also many depictions of Robin Hood wearing something that can't be anything else than a hat.
MadsGustaf
MadsGustaf
i actiully HAVE a "link" hat :D bought it on Ebay (ofcourse)
•°”˜˜”°•.˜”°•..•°”˜.•°”˜˜”°•..•°”˜˜”°•.˜”°•.˜”°•. Mads .•°”˜.•°”˜.•°”˜˜”°•.˜”°•..•°”˜.•°”˜.•°”˜ ˜”°•.˜”°•.˜”°•..•°”˜I am going to live forever... or die trying!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.