Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

4e6

Started by Silvo Feb 24, 2007 at 6:58 PM 433 replies 150.1k views
Original Post
Silvo
Silvo
When will the next 4 elements start? Will there be another one? As I was writing this, I had a thought: maybe you could have a children's competition too (like, under 18). But then, how would contestants prove it? Never mind...
sirob
sirob
4 Elements contests have started around June each year, the past few times. I would expect the next one to be announced a bit before that.

As for the requirement entrants be over 18, I would assume that is due to legal reasons. Keep in mind, the contest requires that the person who submits the entry be over 18, not every person who worked on it. If you want to enter, you could always ask your dad to do it for you.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Oberon_Command
Oberon_Command
Quote:
Original post by sirob
As for the requirement entrants be over 18, I would assume that is due to legal reasons. Keep in mind, the contest requires that the person who submits the entry be over 18, not every person who worked on it. If you want to enter, you could always ask your dad to do it for you.


Since when? I don't remember that ever being in the contest rules, this year or last year.

edit: Actually...
Quote:
Original post by 4e5 rules
The contest is open to entrants who are 13 years of age or older and located anywhere on Earth.
Programmer101
Programmer101
Yeah, you can still enter. I'm under 18 and I entered, so go for it!
Silvo
Silvo
I thought it was 13 years...

June, and it is January... cool! This will give me time to start practicing.

And I would like to say that I very much like the elements in 4e5 over those in 4e4.

EDIT: Sorry, I seem to be very confused. January is over. My mind wants to be in the Christmas Holidays again.

[Edited by - Silvo on February 27, 2007 1:34:43 AM]
Naxos
Naxos
Hey it's just a month and a few days away from beginning! :)

I had a thought. What would you think of the following idea: let the gamedev community nominate and vote on the elements that will be in this years 4e contest? It might be worth doing... then again... might get some very confining elements... like 'shooting' or something. I don't know, thoughts?
Moe
Moe
Well, I think it might be a bit more fair to everyone if the elements were picked by the GDNet Staff, and have the community members vote for their favorite entry. It would save a bit of work on the Staff's part, having to go through and judge all the entries. Mind you, it would take some work to set up such a system, but it could be entertaining to let the community decide.
AfroFire
AfroFire
I nominate The 4 Elements of Romantic Love Making - Games of Romance

Wining, Dining, Kissing, and Thrusting!

AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Programmer101
Programmer101
Personally I like the elements from the older contests: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water.
ViLiO
ViLiO
Quote:
Original post by AfroFire
Wining, Dining, Kissing, and Thrusting!
[lol]

I don't really mind what the elements are this time around, as long as they aren't anything like last years [smile]

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
HandCraftedRadio
HandCraftedRadio
I hope that the next 4e contest is judged more on the use of the elements rather than just requiring them to qualify for the contest. My team spent most of our time on the element use in the game and it was barely even worth any points in the scoring.
Naxos
Naxos
Hopefully the elements won't all start with an 'E' this year... can't imagine what they'd choose. Ears, Elephants, Elegance, Euthanasia?
Naxos
Naxos
Quote:
Original post by HandCraftedRadio
I hope that the next 4e contest is judged more on the use of the elements rather than just requiring them to qualify for the contest. My team spent most of our time on the element use in the game and it was barely even worth any points in the scoring.


Oh I don't know about that HCR, you did get second place! Seems it might have been worth something, maybe? I thought your entry was pretty cool :) Will you be participating this year?
superpig
superpig
Quote:
Original post by HandCraftedRadio
I hope that the next 4e contest is judged more on the use of the elements rather than just requiring them to qualify for the contest. My team spent most of our time on the element use in the game and it was barely even worth any points in the scoring.
To be fair, the judging schema was available from before the elements were even announced. There was no 'use of the elements' category.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
HandCraftedRadio
HandCraftedRadio
Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Original post by HandCraftedRadio
I hope that the next 4e contest is judged more on the use of the elements rather than just requiring them to qualify for the contest. My team spent most of our time on the element use in the game and it was barely even worth any points in the scoring.
To be fair, the judging schema was available from before the elements were even announced. There was no 'use of the elements' category.


Yeah, I'm just saying that you might see games that depend more on the elements with their gameplay if you add a judging catagory based on the element use. Just a suggestion.

[Edited by - HandCraftedRadio on April 28, 2007 10:05:50 AM]
superpig
superpig
Yeah, the judging schema definitely needs a little revision, I agree.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
brandonman
brandonman
I'm hoping to enter this year, even though I'll come near or in last :D I'm gonna get in some more practice. Would be nice to get some OFFICIAL 4e6 info, maybe add a page to the contests section from the homepage.
Terminatore3
Terminatore3
Don't worry about coming in last. This year I came in dead last, though I didn't have much time to put into it. I'm sure you'll do better than me :).
reltham
reltham
Quote:
Original post by Programmer101
Personally I like the elements from the older contests: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water.


I'd like that.
MrRage
MrRage
I really did like the last set of elements used. I really liked the idea of effecting the player’s emotions, but this type of element really depends on who is playing. I never did finish my entry though.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.