Original Post
I' currently working on a browser based game about duelling animals/pets. There are both races and classes in the game. For example: Dragon (water) - good agility, fast but not so much armour (like a rogue) Dragon (desert) - hard skin (much armour), normal damage and good in taking aggro from enemies (useful as a tank). To make the game harder and more interesting users will be able to breed new animals. To tell the truth there will be three ways of acquiring new animals: 1. Find them. Users will be able to hire special animal hunters who travel the lands looking for eggs. The better the hunters are (more expensive) the better eggs will they be able to find. 2. Trade them. All users will be able to trade animals with each other. 3. Breed them. By selecting two animals and putting them in a special enclosed space the animals will be able to mate and lay eggs. The first two ways of getting new animals are quite easy to create and does not affect the game balance. The third alternative does! Of course I can choose which races and classes that should and shouldn't be able to mate. That's not a real problem. If two animals with different classes mate I'll make the offspring one of the classes and not a combination of the two. The problem is how to solve the issue with over powered animals. I mean: I don't want the animals to get better and better. That would damage the game balance. This is how I have planned to create the breeding system:
// change the strength?
if (rand_func() == 1)
{
// Calculate the difference between animal 1 and 2 and then generate a random number between 0 and the difference...
// Add the generated number to animal 1's strength
$pet[1]["strength"] += rand_tal($pet[1]["strength"]-$pet[2]["strength"]);
}
// loop it for the rest of the stats... What do you think of this? Users should benefit from spending time on breeding new animals, but still it must be hard to get super animals... Suggestions how to improve it?