Lounge over population

Started by
21 comments, last by gunning 17 years, 1 month ago
I think the lounge is over populated. It's a common problem with e-forums these days. over population symptoms - Topics quickly move off topic, into 1v1 pedantic debates\arguments. - Topics too quickly acumulate posts. Most users arriving at post feel obliged to read hour's worth of posts. Too much like hard work. - Loses a personal feel, in the same way a room with 1000 people doesn't feel personal. - Determined posters dominate. Causual posters are sidelined. Solution. Keep the 'open to all' lounge, but also provide several private lounges which have a population limit. Member allocation for these forums can be done randomly.
Advertisement
- Topics quickly move off topic, into 1v1 pedantic debates\arguments.

When this happens it is usually due to the moderators not having done anything about it because it hasn't been reported or they havn't noticed. I think the gamedev moderators do a decent job of maintaining the integrity of forum topics here.

- Topics too quickly acumulate posts. Most users arriving at post feel obliged to read hour's worth of posts. Too much like hard work.

This is because you missed the start of the discussion. There is no solution to this at all. Either follow the topic from the beginning, read through the whole thing until the end or don't bother at all. In alot of cases i choose option 3.

- Loses a personal feel, in the same way a room with 1000 people doesn't feel personal.

This isn't a personal community, it is a global community. Having a population limit would be restricting to the people trying to get in to a forum that want to contribute something useful.

- Determined posters dominate. Casual posters are sidelined.

I don't know about casual posters being sidelined, but i agree that it does seem like they get ignored on occasions. But this comes down to the regular posters getting more respect because of their rating/reputation. This is the same for any community in anything, ever.

Dave
>When this happens it is usually due to the moderators not having done anything about it because it hasn't been reported or they havn't noticed. I think the gamedev moderators do a decent job of maintaining the integrity of forum topics here.

Dave mate, it happens every other post.

>This is because you missed the start of the discussion
Well, I'm not one for refreshing the lounge every minute 24/7, which is what you have to do to catch the start. It's unreasonal to require peeps to do this.

>This isn't a personal community, it is a global community. Having a population limit would be restricting to the people trying to get in to a forum that want to contribute something useful.

Well the world is a global community, but do you know of real physical lounge for the world? Course not.
It depends on how you want to define the lounge's function. If you really want a global forum, then what we've got is fine. However, in real life, a lounge or pub consists of at most a few dozen local members who're familiar with each other. A lounge with thousands of members isn't a lounge!
Conventially, in a pub, you can't hear the conversations in the pub down the road. So you won't feel the need to contribute to discussions there. Likewise, members won't want to post in other forums topics if they can't even read them!

casual posters being sidelined = it does seem like they get ignored on occasions

>There is no solution to this at all
Seems to be the theme of your post. Only true if you ignore solutions, and don't search for them.
Here, use this as your sig " Of humans : We can put men of the moon, understand the almost impossibly small workings of the universe, and build astonishingly complex machines, but can't solve forum over population "

Quote:Original post by meemoe_uk
Well, I'm not one for refreshing the lounge every minute 24/7, which is what you have to do to catch the start. It's unreasonal to require peeps to do this.

Since when are you required to catch a thread at the start? Hell, you're not even required to read any threads in the lounge at all so what's the problem here? Perhaps you'd feel more comfortable if you could simply find a general forum that fits your needs better.

Quote:However, in real life, a lounge or pub consists of at most a few dozen local members who're familiar with each other. A lounge with thousands of members isn't a lounge!

Then go start your own. You can dictate who can be in it and how often they can post so it doesn't interfere with your schedule. Hundreds of people are posting and reading posts in the lounge just fine as it is. Why should we slow down just because you can't keep up?
I think if you want the smallness of a real lounge, go to a real lounge. Heh.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
- Dave mate, it happens every other post.

Maybe in the lounge but not on other forums. I don't browse the lounge much, but honestly what do you expect in a forum where people can say *nearly* whatever they like?

- Well, I'm not one for refreshing the lounge every minute 24/7, which is what you have to do to catch the start. It's unreasonal to require peeps to do this.

Well then you ARE going to miss the discussions here. This is like expecting to remain involved in a conversation with you and 2 mates but constantly going out to do other things, then moaning that you don't know what they are talking about.

- Well the world is a global community, but do you know of real physical lounge for the world? Course not.

That's just an irrational childish comment.

- It depends on how you want to define the lounge's function. If you really want a global forum, then what we've got is fine. However, in real life, a lounge or pub consists of at most a few dozen local members who're familiar with each other. A lounge with thousands of members isn't a lounge!

The definition of a forum lounge is for anything off-topic, it doesn't intend to describe the volume of people welcome.

- Seems to be the theme of your post. Only true if you ignore solutions, and don't search for them.

I am a programmer, we are nearly all programmers here, we search for solutions all the time. Considering all of the logical thinking that goes on in this site to do with its structure etc, i am sure that if we had thought of a plausible solution we would have implemented one by now.

- Here, use this as your sig " Of humans : We can put men of the moon, understand the almost impossibly small workings of the universe, and build astonishingly complex machines, but can't solve forum over population "

... Grow up.
Of all the functions of this site, it's the lounge that I believe deserves the least attention. However, I don't see how overpopulation is the issue with the lounge. A thread typically only has a few people active in the conversation with others popping in and out. If you join in late on a conversation between 2, 5, 10 or 100 people, it's still going to be up to them whether they ignore you or include you. I don't see how restricting how many people can join the conversation is going to help matters. I can only see it making matters worse.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Well, I've made my point.
I don't agree with any of your counter-arguments.
I'd like to think my solution will be judged worthy of implementation purely if it's idealogically correct and practically feasible. But the replies here are anything to go by then I think we've got the same problems here that all large or mature groups develope.
- Megalomaniacs in key positions.
- Unreasonable conservatism and worship for the current system.
- Immediate hostility to change.

The sci-experiment is an accepted great method for testing the goodness of an idea. Unless it's already been done ( reference to it please ), why not do a few month trial period for my great solution, and judge from that how good it is? Can't hurt can it?
Quote:Original post by meemoe_uk
Well, I've made my point.
I don't agree with any of your counter-arguments.
I'd like to think my solution will be judged worthy of implementation purely if it's idealogically correct and practically feasible. But the replies here are anything to go by then I think we've got the same problems here that all large or mature groups develope.

The sci-experiment is an accepted great method for testing the goodness of an idea. Unless it's already been done ( reference to it please ), why not do a few month trial period for my great solution, and judge from that how good it is? Can't hurt can it?

Yeah, they were "worshiping" the current system for not agreeing with your (odd...) plan to make several different lounges exclusive to random members. Stop trying to make a difference in something that isn't your business, dude. It's not a problem that the lounge is a fast forum, it's a good thing.

After rereading your last post and seeing your post count, you sound way to pretentious for this to be real. I guess the joke was on me.
You are in no position to judge the activity and integrity of either the forum and it's posters nor the staff who VOLUNTEER to run this site. You have been here for a short time with now 15 posts to your name and you think you have a clear view of how everything works.

As for :

Uh no.

Uh no, you really don't know the half of what is discussed behind the scenes in regards to the sites structure and future.

No. Read more of GD CSI and you will see the changes that are deemed acceptable in discussion are implemented fairly quickly so long as they are not huge feature requests. Again i reiterate that this site is run by volunteers.

Dave

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement