Proposed ratings mechanism modifications

Started by
69 comments, last by jollyjeffers 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
I like the idea, with one tweak - there should be some kind of per-user weighting to the post ratings. Zahlman giving a post 5 stars should mean a hell of a lot more than, say, me, or JoeNewbie who joined yesterday.

This goes back to the problem of interpreting rating as a measure of expertise. boolean is the tenth highest rated non-mod, but I don't put much weight on his technical skills, personally, so why should his rating of a post as helpful mean more than S1CA?

I'm not rejecting the idea. I'm just not convinced yet.
I like ApochPiQ's suggestion and I see your concerns Oluseyi - but just a quick thought on that:

Have you considered how many of the top 50, 100, 500 rated members are "nice guys" versus genuinely helpful? If interpretting ratings for technical expertise there are definitely some anomalies but by-and-large most highly rated users will also be genuinely helpful and probably have at least one area of technical expertise.

My point being that you could do what ApochPiQ suggested without worrying too much about the anomalies because those 'types' are sufficiently rare as to not pose a threat to the greater system.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement