[java] Is Java Dead on Internet ?

Started by
15 comments, last by Ahnfelt 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I was going through my book - complete reference in java in which i came through a topic Java for Internet . It has been a long time that i have encountered any java applet or any such java program on web. As the book says internet was one of the reason that led to the widespread of java but i don't find any such thing. Is java dead on internet or it is still in use in other web areas. Any Comments. Thanking in advance. -nick-
Advertisement
I see Java applets all the time. As far as I know Java is the most popular means for client scripting on webpages. Check out AJAX for example. Really hot topic in web development over at Microsoft at the moment.
Best regards, Omid
Dead? far from it...
take for instance web services, web development (JSP, servlets, struts, hibernate, etc) ah and Java made the first move into event driven web development with Java Server Faces (JSF) before the dark times... before Microsoft... before ASP.NET =) (just kidding, i love ASP.NET too).

You're mistaking Java for &#106avascript. They are not related.

Flash, Shockwave and &#106avascript (of which AJAX is just &#111;ne use) have been stealing considerable market shares from Java applets.<br><br>I, for &#111;ne, would really like to see more JVM based applets out there, but for some reason (lack of good standard graphics libraries?) it's diminishing.<br><br>On a side node, why does this forum <b>insist</b> &#111;n converting &#106avascript to all-lowercase? That is pretty annoying.
Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt
On a side node, why does this forum insist on converting &#106avascript to all-lowercase? That is pretty annoying.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>Really?<br><br>&#106avascript, &#106avascript, &#106avascript, &#106avascript...<br><br>wow. it does!
Java as a server technology is alive and well, particularly in the enterprise sector. Java as an applet technology is effectively dead -- it's handy occasionally and still in use in places, but its uses are not significant and it's mainly just a niche technology.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Really
Applets are also being replaced by Java Webstart, which is a much nicer technology - you still get easy launching via a single click in a web browser, but you get a proper app instead of being stuck in a webpage (plus you get auto-update for free too).
Quote:Original post by kyosing
Really

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Thank you all for your replies .

Applet was one of the pillars that led to the widspread of Java during the early stage and now from what is see and researched is that this pillar does not exist anymore or not widely used.I think this will not effect the Java position as it was now already a mature lang.

Any other inputs are welcomed.

Thanks,
-Nick-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement