Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Python Book help

Started by biggjoee5790 Apr 1, 2007 at 12:03 PM 8 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
biggjoee5790
biggjoee5790
Hi everyone, Ive been searching lately for a solid book on learning Python. Although I have been learning alot from online resources and such, I feel like I need to get an actual book that has end of chapter exercises and other things that help me to retain my knowledge. After looking through Amazon, the book that seems to be the most suited is "Learning Python".. heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Python-Second-Mark-Lutz/dp/0596002815/ref=sr_1_1/103-0723787-9763028?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175447505&sr=1-1 Im wondering if anyone here had purchased or at least looked through this book? If so, is it what Im looking for? It seems to be aimed at beginners, but I want to make sure that it doesnt require any previous programming knowledge, or if it does, a very minimal amount. Is it aimed at people who are learning Python as a 1st language? I just want to get a really good book that I can work through and learn alot from, hopefully you guys can help me out here. Oh yea I was also looking at this book: http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Second/dp/1598631128/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/103-0723787-9763028 To me it seemed like it may be a little too basic. Im am a real beginner, but I dont want to read through something and finish it without much more knowledge than when I started. I am able to grasp new concepts pretty well so I dont really want to waste my money on something that is aimed at teaching little kids (no offense :) ) I may be totally wrong about it being too basic, Im just going by some of the reviews. [Edited by - biggjoee5790 on April 1, 2007 12:27:22 PM]
Sria
Sria
Learning python for the absolute beginner is a fantastic book in my opinion.

It's not for little kids and will teach you the basics by making small games.



biggjoee5790
biggjoee5790
Oh so its a book for game programming? I didnt get that from reading the description of it. I always thought that learning the basics of the language by making text only programs in the console before dealing with games was the way to go. Well my main goal is game programming so maybe it would be the way to go. Could you maybe explain how the book is written, like how does he go about teaching you the language? also any more opinions on the matter would be great
daviangel
daviangel
Quote:
Original post by Sria
Learning python for the absolute beginner is a fantastic book in my opinion.

It's not for little kids and will teach you the basics by making small games.

Yeah it's a pretty good book and I read it a couple of years back but this book that just came out is even better!
I'm reading it right now to refresh my python/pygame skills and you can see how good it is by downloading the source code yourself and checking it out yourself.
One great thing it covers too that the former book doesn't is how to package your python programs into exe's.
And another thing I remeber about the first book is that it doesn't get into pygame or any fun stuff till the very end of the book so you might not get through the whole book if doesn't keep your interest. The new python book I mentioned gets you using pygame in chapter 4!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Sria
Sria
Something I also didn't like about python for the absolute beginner is that the pygame was hidden (for lack of a better word) through the use of livewires.

However, the book is about learning the basics but you make text games.

I will have to check out the book the above poster posted, as I am a beginner myself
biggjoee5790
biggjoee5790
Well that L Line book seems nice, but its totally focused on game programming. Although I do want to program games, I was told many times that I should be fairly familiar with Python and be able to make various other programs easily before making games. Thats why Im looking for books that teach all the parts of programming in Python so that I can become good with the language. Of course I want to make games, but I think Im way to much of a beginner to dive into that yet.
Sria
Sria
Then I don't think you can go wrong with Python for the absolute beginner
biggjoee5790
biggjoee5790
Well I guess Ill order that one, then most likely check out the other two a bit later. Can anyone else give me opinions about this?
daviangel
daviangel
Quote:
Original post by biggjoee5790
Well I guess Ill order that one, then most likely check out the other two a bit later. Can anyone else give me opinions about this?

Well if you do get that one make sure you get the newer edition. I was at Borders the other day and they have a 2nd edition out now. I don't know what changes there were but it looks pretty much the same as the first edition I own.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
biggjoee5790
biggjoee5790
Well im gonna get it from amazon, Ill check out what edition they have. Thanks for the heads up.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.