Animated Sprites =S

Started by
5 comments, last by _Sigma 17 years ago
Hi! My name is Cristian and Im learning to program videogames reading tutorials and samples in the internet. I can draw sprites without difficult, but I cant understand how to move the frames of the animation with the correct time. I did something like this: public void CaminarIzquierda() { spriteHeroe.PosX -= spriteHeroe.VelocityX; nFrames = 4; frames = new Rectangle[nFrames]; for (int i=0;i<nFrames;i++) { Rectangle rectangulo = new Rectangle(i*32,64,32,64); frames = rectangulo; SourceRectangle = frames; } } But it only draws my character moving X pixels with the last frame of the animation. I doesnt draw others three frames, only the last one. I tried to do this too: public void Update(float segundos) { ultimoUpdate += (float)DXTimer.GetElapsedSeconds(); if (ultimoUpdate >= segundosPorFrame) { currentFrame = (currentFrame == ultimoFrame) ? primerFrame : currentFrame + 1; ultimoUpdate -= segundosPorFrame; } } But it the same... it doesnt work like I want. Please... Correct me and tell me how must I do it plz =3 Thanks for reading and byez =) PD: Sorry if I wrote bad, but my language is the spanish =P and I dont know writing english very well =P
Advertisement
When posting code, use the [ source] [/ source] tags. (without the spaces before the 's'.)

So your code is:
public void CaminarIzquierda(){   spriteHeroe.PosX -= spriteHeroe.VelocityX;   nFrames = 4;   frames = new Rectangle[nFrames];   for (int i=0;i<nFrames;i++)   {         Rectangle rectangulo = new Rectangle(i*32,64,32,64);       frames = rectangulo;       SourceRectangle = frames;    }}

and
public void Update(float segundos){    ultimoUpdate += (float)DXTimer.GetElapsedSeconds();        if (ultimoUpdate >= segundosPorFrame)    {        currentFrame = (currentFrame == ultimoFrame) ? primerFrame : currentFrame + 1;        ultimoUpdate -= segundosPorFrame;    }}

Notice how much more readable the code is?

In reply to your question, take a look here. It uses SDL for drawing, but should give you a good idea for the general algorithm.
Thanks for teaching me about the source tag =P

I think that what my code needs is to be more slowly, cause the animation loop works so fast, and just the last frame is drawn.

When this method is called:

public void Update()        {            ultimoUpdate += (float)DXTimer.GetElapsedMilliseconds();            if (ultimoUpdate >= segundosPorFrame)            {                currentFrame = (currentFrame == ultimoFrame) ? primerFrame : currentFrame + 1;                                ultimoUpdate -= segundosPorFrame;                            }        }

The if always is False, cause GetElapsedMilliseconds is so fast, and I dont know how to do it slow enough.
I haven't dealt with animation for a while, so I'm a little rusty.

First off, can you post your code in english? =) That way we can help you easier as it is somewhat difficult to understand what you are currently doing.

Implimenting a FPS lock should help. It appears you have tried this. Try something like

DWORD start_time = GetTickCount();//do your work herewhile (GetTickCount() - start_time)< var_for_how_long_each_frame_is);

Yes xD That's what i wanna do =P

Uhh... Maybe I must use the GetTickCount() =3

Im gonna drink fizzy and then I'll try to do the same with the GetTickCount =P
Well... I followed a lot of tutorials but I never Understood how fps works...

I have this, but I dont know how it works...
class DXTimer    {        // Here are the variables and other methods =3      public static long TicksPerSecond        {            get            {                return lTicksPerSecond;            }        }      public static double GetElapsedMilliseconds()        {            // Check if initialized            if (!bInitialized)            {                throw new Exception("Timer not initialized!");            }            // Get current number of ticks            QueryPerformanceCounter(ref lCurrentTime);            // Calculate number of milliseconds since last call            dElapsedMilliseconds = ((double)(lCurrentTime - lLastTime) /     (double)lTicksPerSecond) * 1000.0;            // Store current number of ticks for next call            lLastTime = lCurrentTime;            // Return milliseconds            return dElapsedMilliseconds;        }}

And this other class:
public class Fps{public void Update(float ElapsedMilliseconds)        {            // add elapsed time and count frames            fAccumulatedTime += ElapsedMilliseconds;            iFrames++;            // calculate fps every second            if (fAccumulatedTime > 1000.0f)            {                fFps = (float)iFrames / fAccumulatedTime * 1000.0f;                iFrames = 0;                fAccumulatedTime = 0.0f;            }        }}

I really dont understand these classes =(

Please tell me what methods I must use and how it works =3

And thanks for replying me =)
Uh...what language are you using? I assumed C++ but that
get{    return foo;}

isn't c++ afaik...

FPS stands for frames per second.

I don't have time to really explain atm, but basically you just need to see if you sprite requires its animation updated, check to see how much time its been since the last update (use GetTickCount()), if its been longer than time x, update to the next frame, otherwise, continue on with your main game loop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement