Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

OpenGL crashes in fullscreen

Started by DeVore Apr 2, 2001 at 5:32 AM 8 replies 750+ views
Original Post
DeVore
DeVore
Has anyone had this problem - I am using nehe''s setup code in my framework and the program works fine windowed but as soon as I run in fullscreen it crashes my machine. I am personally suspicious of borland which I am using to compile. Any ideas on how I can debug this? Cheers, DeVore
Null and Void
Null and Void
It is much more likely to be your video card or its drivers fault. What video card do you have, and do you have the newest drivers?

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
Neuro
Neuro
What OS you using? I had a crash problem using full screen in OpenGL using Nehe setup code under WinNT 4.

This was just down to the OS though.

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough

Neuro.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
DeVore
DeVore
I have a GeForce 1, with the latest drivers. I am running windows 98 on an AMD Athelon 600 with plenty of memory etc..
I haven''t had any problems with other programs that use OGL.
-DeVore
Neuro
Neuro
Yes, running the demos on my home PC which is running Me and a TNT2 Ultra I have never had a problem with full screen.

Only when running under NT4.

Neuro

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough

Neuro.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
udragon
udragon
Try to add some tracing to your code... find out where it exactly crashes...

Make sure every pointer / handle is valid before using it.
Also don''t forget to release any allocated handle/resource in your code.... Windows can become unstable if you don''t release them. (If it''s not already ! :D )


If it''s the exact nehe code it should work fine... so most likely it will be a driver problem in this case...
U'dragon Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
DeVore
DeVore
NeHe has released some reworked base code so I replaced my old stuff last night and it all worked. So, tonight I shall be going through the two carefully to find out what was the problem. I presume it is in the fullscreen initialisation code since that is the only difference.
Very odd...

-DeVore
Cyberdrek
Cyberdrek
Unfortunately, I have no clue why it doesn''t work on your system. I have a TNT2 with the latest drivers running Win2K and I''m also using Nehe''s code and it works great in fullscreen and in windowed mode.

Sorry I can''t help you out.



Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia
Headhunter Soft

DLC Multimedia
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Product Activation Technology!
[Cyberdrek | ]
thuned
thuned
i have a viper2 and i use win2k. to fix it for me, i just kill the window 1st, THEN change the resolution back

life is unfair, take advantage of it.
UNMB2 - if the link doesn''t work, try clicking it
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.