Extremely big problem with new PC

Started by
15 comments, last by daviangel 17 years ago
I now put the videocard in someone else's PC and it showed the same problem there. I also put his videocard in mine, and it worked! So it really almost positively sure is the videocard.

Furthermore, I've taken some photos of it to show what's going on...

Linux login screen:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Linux startup:

Windows:

Boot logo screen:

BIOS menu:

Advertisement
Don't forget, like anything that is made, there are failures now and then. Most of the time with computer stuff it gets weeded out before shipping, but sometimes they slip through.

It is like winning the lotto,... only more kick in the nuttish.

Cool effects however. Wouldn't mind having a card like that that I can swap out with people's stuff at LAN parties,... does that make me evil?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Just a note, I would try to deal with the manufacturer, not the store. You will most likely get something worked out faster.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Just last week I got my replacement card from newegg due to a previous XFX 7600 video card that I recieved bad. I put it in, booted up, and about 20 minutes later or so there was big screen corruption very similar to what you are experiencing. Even in the bios screen all the text was jacked up and bands of trash. Reseated it multiple times, ended up getting it replaced by newegg. Replacement has been running great. It sounds almost certainly like a bad card.
Quote:some of the letter characters get weird shapes and flickering white blocks

Sounds like bad RAM on the graphics card. You need to send it back.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
The primary cause of wierd display glitches is bad drivers. However, if it happens in a dual-boot system and also messes up the POST display, that's not possible.

The only thing that I can imagine is a bad video card. Given the "blurring" of the text in your BIOS screenshot, I'd guess that it's bad framebuffer memory - data stored in one pixel is "leaking" over into neighboring ones, causing blurring.

[Edited by - nemesisgeek on April 22, 2007 8:49:43 PM]
hackerkey://v4sw7+8CHS$hw6+8ln6pr8O$ck4ma4+9u5Lw7VX$m0l5Ri8ONotepad++/e3+8t3b8AORTen7+9a17s0r4g8OP
Yup! Bad card!
Video corruption showing in bios and during POST is almost always signs of a bad videocard. It's one thing that'll automatically get you an RMA from ATI. I had the same funky bios/post corruption thing happen to an ATI vidcard a while back.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement