GUI - beyond the basics

Started by
3 comments, last by sipickles 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I've got a nice GUI framework going on my client app, using CEGUI, which I wrapped for my own ends. I've managed to assign basic actions to widgets, like acting on text input through edit boxes, clicking on buttons etc. Now, I want to move on into a fully fledged GUI system. My mental leap involves understanding how all the 1000's of icons and controls are allocated behaviours. At present, I am assigning them manually, then each having its own function (pointed to by the control) which implements the correct action. This seems clumsy.... and impossible on a whole GUI system. I guess I am talking scripting? I am loading the GUI from XML files... Anyone using CEGUI got any advice? or more general GUI execution advice? Thanks Simon
Advertisement
I'd suggest taking a look at the Lua scripting module for CEGUI, I'm using it in two projects right now, and it works great (after figuring some stuff out). With this you can assign lua functions to call on a specified action in your layout files. This is a pretty nice and flexible way of doing things, plus you don't have to recompile to test new behaviours. Take a look here for a basic getting started tutorial, and then look at the rest of the tutorials in the "Scripting with CEGUI" section for a good intro.

Good luck!
Yeah thanks,

I saw that, but was sad there isn't a python module.... Maybe lua needs further attention.....
If you prefer Python you should take a look at this, but I haven't used that myself so I can't really say if it works as well (or better) than the Lua module.
Wow, I can't believe I haven't come across this before,

Thanks Taharez!

Gold Star!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement