Beginning 3D graphics programming...

Started by
3 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 11 months ago
Hey! I want to begin 3d graphics programming, but I don't really know where to begin---what will be the best, the most convenient, way. I know how to program, I know how to make a 2d game, and I have taken lots of math courses in college including linear algebra, multivariable and vector calculus etc. So math shouldn't be a problem. I've got the books right here in case I need to look something up. But I have never done any 3D graphics programming. I probably should also mention that I want to make a game using C# and XNA. But I'm wondering how much that matters. Maybe you think that I should start somewhere else, I really don't know. I want to be productive rather than knowing all the small details, I guess I can learn that stuff later if I feel the need to. Although I want to understand what I'm doing, of course. So, if you know any fitting tutorials, or books (I don't mind buying a book or two) I would very much appreciate it. [Edited by - tufflax on May 12, 2007 9:58:36 AM]
Advertisement
my personal favorite would be Tricks of the 3D Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre' Lamothe
I've always found books overrated for introductory stuff. Largely because there's a ton of free tutorials online that are just as good if not better.

I started with http://nehe.gamedev.net/. It's opengl, but there's c# ports. It'll teach you the fundamentalst. And these fundamentals work the same between opengl, direct3d, and xna. Once you have them down, switching apis is easy.
Thank you!

Yeah you're probably right, gharen2. Nehe seems like a great resource, so I think I'll start there.
If you're going the route of OpenGL (which is what NeHe uses), then you should definately get the book Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkins. In my opinion, it is vastly superior to NeHe or other free sites. NeHe does cover some topics that BOGLGP doesn't, but that's not until later on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement