Help me plan my uni course!

Started by
3 comments, last by Ne_cro 16 years, 11 months ago
First off I guess I would like to know what specialization I should be working towards. The university I have picked offers several, but the ones I think would be most appropriate for game programming are Software Development, Graphics and Multimedia, or Artificial Intelligence. What do u guys think would be the best specialization for game programming?
Advertisement
My university offers those same tracks. I imagine that Graphics and Multimedia would be more along the lines of utilizing Flash, PhotoShop, FireWorks, and other similar programgs. Artificial Intelligence I think is like working with a physical robot and perhaps Assembly language and the lower languages.
I'm doing Software Development, and from the courses that belong to this track are the best for game programming compared to the courses offered in the other tracks.

But, all of what I just said is particular to my school, they could be slightly different for your school.
cool, thanks shakedown, I figured software development would be the way to go.

The university seems to recommend taking philosophy papers alot e.g. for software developement in the first year: PHIL 102B Introduction to Logic or PHIL 103A Critical Reasoning. Does anybody think these kinds of papers will be usefull for me as a game programmer or am I better off looking elsewhere?

By the way the university I'm going to is Waikato
http://www.waikato.ac.nz
Philosophy classes are good for being a sane and rational human being - take them to better yourself, try not to be such a dedicated gaming whore, build a little personality for yourself. Use your uni experience to push the boundaries of your intelligence a bit.

Work for yourself first, then for some company second.

[Edited by - AfroFire on May 19, 2007 1:32:59 AM]
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
My university also offers those specialization. I dont know about yours but i think the most suitable specialization is Multimedia, since they teach us opengl and directx programming we also have some courses in AI and 3D graphics. In my opinion i think you should ask your university which courses each specialization has to offer before you decide.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement