Polygon-type renders in DirectX

Started by
1 comment, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 11 months ago
Hello all... I mentioned yesterday that I just started with DirectX, and today is my 2nd day. :) Every tutorial I found used simple triangles to render polygons, so the question is, I'm looking for the technique on using quads and triangle strips, for example to render a sphere (quads preferably to easierly apply a texture and better looks in wire-frame mode). How would I go about doing so? How would I use DrawTrianglePatch and DrawRectangularPatch? Thank you...
Advertisement
I recommend reading through the tutorials in the SDK. There is one that shows you how to render a texture cylinder.

Dave
Direct3D and GPU's in general operate on the triangle level. My understanding of OpenGL's capability to render quad's is just an abstraction of two coplanar triangles - the GPU doesn't actually see the quad...

The patch functions you mention are access to the 'higher order surface' functionality in the API. You probably don't want to put too much emphasis on them as hardware support is very limited (although probably making a comeback with the G80/R600 generation). You can still manually tesselate via D3DX but you lose much of the advantage of using them in the first place.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement