The first thing you do when making an engine

Started by
14 comments, last by Programmer101 16 years, 11 months ago
When you are making a new game/game engine, what is the first thing you try to put up on the screen? I just thought this might be an interesting question. Personally, I put up a box [smile].
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Programmer101
When you are making a new game/game engine, what is the first thing you try to put up on the screen? I just thought this might be an interesting question. Personally, I put up a box [smile].

First step in making a game engine.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Hmmm. Interesting first step.

It may get you no where but its fun :)
Why do we develop games in the first place?
Heh, nice advice.

Learning how to make an engine is invaluable, unless you're actually trying to create and finish a full game. There is so much you learn in creating an engine that translates into how to properly use one.

Are you looking to make 2D or 3D? If 3D, I'd say the first step would be to learn linear algebra and about 3D theory.
Usually the first thing I put on the screen when I'm working on any of my projects is the most basic object the graphics engine will need to display. This usually means a 2D sprite.
The background. Enough said. :)
~Argonaut________________________________Why "~Argonaut"? It's all just a mathematical expression denoting a close approximation of "Argonaut", which is irrational and can't be precisely defined.
Usually just a test triangle to make sure GL or DX is initializing properly.

Then I'll move up to a cube, or a couple spinning cubes with different orientations.

Then texture mapping. Bah texture mapping is nice once it's working, but getting it working that first time is a pain.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
A box is the first thing probably put to screen. There's quite a bit that doesn't go on the screen that's needed first. The very first thing to do is get logging set up. Aids debugging immensely.
"Don't make a game engine" :(

Assuming I have the barebones for intialization, make sure a cube or something draws with perspective, then apply textures (or write a texture loader), write a model loader. At least thats what I did. Then keep going back and making functions more flexible and make tools to use with it.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

The first thing that goes up on the screen is some class diagrams in Visio. lol :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement