what is meaning of ^ symbol in math?

Started by
44 comments, last by erissian 16 years, 10 months ago
Those are all programming syntax taken from different languages. Think as you wish, but if you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for anything else than logical conjunction in an equation, I would expect any serious publication to reject it.

And dont be tricked, while it means XOR in some programming languages, the actual math symbol for XOR is "ˇ". Because you know, most keyboards cannot conveniently type a "ˇ", and even then, its not very readable. The mathematical symbol for XOR dont seem to be in the ascii table so I cant type it. It normally is a circle with a straith cross inside.

[Edited by - Steadtler on June 5, 2007 1:25:17 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kimani
Actually ^ does have to do with exponents and math.

For instance, when you're first taught exponents in school, they wont use the superscript method - they'll use ^. Kind of like how they use the x for multiplication until you start using a dot. ^ is a very valid and widely accepted means to denote exponent.

Yeah, grade school teachers sucks at math. I had my head of department try to explain a bunch of them (actually they were high school) the difference between convex and concave - a painful hour according to him.

They use "*" for multiplication because thats whats on calculators. They wouldnt know that the star means a convolution because 99% of them dont know what a convolution is. And it woudlnt serve the kids because the dot is not on calculators. Its a case of leveling by the bottom...

Best forget most of the math you learned before college when you get there, it'll help you out.
A friend of mine was told there was no such thing as negative numbers.

School rocks!
Quote:Original post by Steadtler
Those are all programming syntax taken from different languages. Think as you wish, but if you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for anything else than logical conjunction in an equation, I would expect any serious publication to reject it.

If you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for exponentiation, I would expect any serious publication to consider it a typo. If you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for conjunction, I would expect any serious publication to consider it a typo.
Quote:Original post by instinKt
A friend of mine was told there was no such thing as negative numbers.

School rocks!

Well, in the set of positive integer, there is no such thing :). In the set of positive real too! And in the set or positive rational...

number is such a loose word!
When I see ^ in maths, it's either

cross product (most texts use X though)

set intersection (normally bigger wigwam though)
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
If you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for exponentiation, I would expect any serious publication to consider it a typo. If you were to write a science paper, and used ^ for conjunction, I would expect any serious publication to consider it a typo.

I did publish several science papers, but I never needed to use the conjunction symbol in my equations (I think), so I admit I dont know first hand. Why would they consider it a typo when it is the only correct mathematical symbol for conjunction? Im curious to what you use for conjunction if not it.

I cannot believe reading you guys, math is supposed to be the least ambiguous thing out there. The OP asked for the meaning of ^ in math, and I stand that it is the conjunction, and not any of the other meanings mentionned here.
I did publish several science papers, but I never needed to use the conjunction symbol in my equations (I think), so I admit I dont know first hand. Why would they consider it a typo when it is the only correct mathematical symbol for conjunction? Im curious to what you use for conjunction if not it.

It's pissing me off because I can't seem to post the symbol here. Look here, and search the page for "∧" (without the quotes). It looks like the caret, but it's larger, lower, and more acute.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

It's pissing me off because I can't seem to post the symbol here. Look here, and search the page for "∧" (without the quotes). It looks like the caret, but it's larger, lower, and more acute.

I see the symbol here, maybe its your language set. Anyway, the *only* similar math symbol to both those characters is still the conjunction symbol.
I see the symbol here, maybe its your language set.
Yeh, now I see it on one of my computers but not the other.
Quote:Anyway, the *only* similar math symbol to both those characters is still the conjunction symbol.

Not true. In articles written in the days before TeX, and even these days in text-based circumstances, it's quite common to see ^ used for exponentiation. I've got some old Blinn papers in my filing cabinet at work that I'm almost certain use ^ in that way. It may be something which is specific to computer science literature.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement