DAT Files

Started by
4 comments, last by l3mon 16 years, 10 months ago
I've read about DAT files, but I can't seem to find out how to create and edit them. Does anyone have any tips or editors?
Advertisement
DAT has no formal meaning.

Which application/game is this for? It's almost certainly a proprietary format.
A *.dat is just a data file--It could be any type of data.
It's part of a tutorial I'm doing, using heightmaps. It's supposed to be easier to use DAT files over BMP files.
the .DAT file extension typically just means the file contains data for an application. Consequently, there are hundreds of different DAT formats (although there are a couple major ones) ranging from plaintext strings to encrypted, compressed blocks of heavily formatted data.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
As medevilenemy said, it could be anything. Usually though .dat files are raw binary data, which you most likely don't know how to handle if you don't have any clues about the formatting.

In your case though it might be quite simple. Since you are referring to heightmaps, which are usually stored as 16 bit values, you probably have a square of X * X heights, each being stored in a 16 bit value. So your first 16 bits of the file represent (most likely) the upper left height in your heightmap. The next 16 bit represent the next 16 bit height in the most left column and so on.

I hope you get what I mean ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement