Installing SDL in Linux Ubuntu distro

Started by
5 comments, last by Perost 16 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I tried installing SDL packages rpm file from their website but Ubuntu couldn´t recognize the file, for some reason. So then, I went here http://ubuntu-gamedev.wikispaces.com/How-To+Setup+SDL+for+games+development and it suggested to download your favorite package managing program and download the following files libsdl-1.2debian, libsdl-1.2debian-alsa, libsdl-1.2dev, libsdl-image 1.2, libsdl-image 1.2-dev, etc... But the only package manager I found that I could download, and install on Ubuntu (which I´m sure there is more like redhat package manager, a gnome one for sure) is Kpackage which eats up too much memory, and took me half an hour to type in SDL and download the mixer, true type font, and debian, but there were some I missed, and didn´t really get to download the libsdl-1.2dev which I´m sure is the important file. So, how do I download all packages of SDL on Ubuntu 7.04? What is the easiest way? What should I download, how do I download it, please let me know I´d like to start making some games before tonight is over. Thanks, c.s. Finch p.s. if you have a good suggestion on using Allegro as well please let me know. As my gamedev book uses Allegro if not no worries. I can really just find SDL equavilence and convert my games to SDL.
c.s. Finch
Advertisement
the way I did it was I enables universe and multiverse in synaptic and did a search for sdl and downloaded the -devel packages and it worked fine.
Quote:Original post by eedok
the way I did it was I enables universe and multiverse in synaptic and did a search for sdl and downloaded the -devel packages and it worked fine.

Where is Synpatic? Is that the Add/Remove package once you click on Applications? If not I have no idea where to find synpatic. I´m quite new to Ubuntu and linux for that matter being itś been 3 years since I through a linux OS on one of my systems. I was told synpatic made packaging easier but couldn´t find it in Ubuntu or didn´t know I was using synaptic when I downloaded the Kdev stuff.

Thanks,

c.s. Finch
System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager

Try searching for "sdl" and you should get a fairly large list of SDL packages including libraries like SDL_image. Look for the SDL development package and mark it. You'll probably be prompted to mark other required libraries too. Apply the changes and everything should be automatic from there!

Hope that helps.
Here's a nice guide with pictures on how to use synaptic: Clicky!.

And there's also Ubuntu Guide, which might be helpful if you have other questions.
I think I got the packages and I definitely found Synaptic nice, really nice. So Synaptic is basically this free p2p program for linux packages, downloads, and installs them for you, and all you have to do is find out which package you need and know how to press a button. That is nice!

Well I downlaoded, and installed every SDL package I could find, well almost.

I went to my terminal and typed in ¨sdl-config¨

and got this

carl@ubuntu7:~$ sdl-config
Usage: sdl-config [--prefix[=DIR]] [--exec-prefix[=DIR]] [--version] [--cflags] [--libs] [--static-libs]
carl@ubuntu7:~$

does that mean that SDL has successfully been installed? Now, how do I use it with KDevelop, or if you know of the best programmer friendly C++ editor out there for me to use Iĺl download it since I found out about Synaptic!! :)

Thanks for all the help,

c.s. Finch

p.s. But i´d still like to have my simple 2d game done tonight before work (5 hours) so i need to know how to get a C++ editor/compiler recognize the sdl lib files.
c.s. Finch
Check out Lazy Foo's tutorials, specifically this one, which shows how to set up KDevelop. You can of course skip the first two steps, since you already have installed SDL now.

There's also lots of alternatives to KDevelop, some of which are listed on Lazy Foo's site here. If you use gnome you might be interested in an IDE that use GTK instead, like Anjuta. But use whatever you feel comfortable with. If you have the time you could try a couple different IDE's, before you get too attached to one [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement