Tutorials...

Started by
5 comments, last by cemedias 16 years, 10 months ago
I'm just wondering if any one knows where to get a good ground-up c++ tutorial for download... I'm also looking for a vb tutorial for people with knowledge of other programming languages.
You take my Life but I'll Take yours Too!
Advertisement
The first hit on this page is pretty straightforward, ground-up like you're talking about. If you like a more verbose author, I'd google the "Thinking in C++" e-books, they're fairly popular from what I've read and heard, and they follow pretty well.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Are these download or not? because my wireless has been messing up lately so I don't have acess to the internet at all times :(
so it'd be nice if I could get them like that
You take my Life but I'll Take yours Too!
You can even save web pages to your computer, File -> Save As..and be sure to select to save page "Completely" because you don't want to end up with a bunch of text without single image if your wireless mess up

Cheers,
Stefan
although i'm still learning, i learned from a couple of different sources, i found that what one was missing, or explained badly, the other ones cover differently.

cprogramming.com
cplusplus.com

those are good to start with, then there are 3 online books i found that are a bit more advanced, but once you've went through those 2 REALLY thoroughly, try
a tutorial book i found on relisoft.com that REALLY hammers home the Object Oriented progrmming style(at first you'd think its learning a difficult style that you can avoid, but as you start working on games, you realize how much simpler it makes everything)

and then search for "Thinking In C" by bruce eckel and "C++ : A Dialoge" by steve heller which are both free online books which both go really in depth in different ways, they're both kinda hard to digest at first but there's tons of stuff you can pick up on even as a beginner.

keep in mind i'm pretty much in the same boat as you are, so i'm far from knowing everything. although if you're looking to do game programming, from what i gather visual basic isn't really what you're looking for, its ALOT easier than C++, but as you'll learn it's not really a game/speed oriented language
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Try the C++ workshop sticky.
Quote:Original post by dusty_one
Try the C++ workshop sticky.

Not a sticky anymore. But it has it's own forum now under "Completed Workshops". Link..

And I agree with godsenddeath, www.cprogramming.com and www.cplusplus.com are very good resources. I suggest buying a book though (they aren't bigger than tutorials for nothing :) ).

"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement