2d sidescroller (collision detection)

Started by
16 comments, last by catch 16 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by KG_Brad
You're making an MMO that's a sidescroller? I've never seen any before, so hopefully you're the first!

I've actually seen a few before. Surprisingly, they work pretty well...

Advertisement
I'd say making a "Bump Map" where each "pixel" represents a tile would be a very nice solution.
Like this:

zeros-passable
ones-not passable
Party!
If looping costs N^2, an quicker way would be to keep the objects sorted, on tile id or x or y or both. Sorry tile_id wont help!

Sorting will cost nlogn, better than N^2, lookup for collision will cost you log_2(n), using binary search.

Are my log bases correct anyone?
Quote:Original post by KG_Brad
You're making an MMO that's a sidescroller? I've never seen any before, so hopefully you're the first!

Maple Story, and it's pretty good for about 5 hours (until you realize just how damned long it takes to level).

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by Captain P
With 100 moving objects, you end up with 10.000 checks per frame already.

It isn't quite 10,000. It's about half that. That's because if Object A has been checked against Object B, then Object B doesn't need to do the check again against Object A. So for 100 objects the number of checks would be 5050.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Quote:Original post by catch
I was thinking of doing a grid-based system. My game (2d) has tiles that are 256x256. The server maintains a list of tiles in the game space, and within those tile squares there is a list of object IDs.

Only those object IDs, if there's more than 1, are tested against each other (and there are more filters from there, certain flags... such as stationary objects or non-collidable objects).

The problem with this method is when objects start to overlap multiple tiles. Do you add them into multiple tile lists? Possible, but tricky and time-consuming to manage. Or you can check in a fixed radius of tiles around each object, but that puts an upper limit on the size of any object within your world.

You could try putting objects that don't fit into another list, one covering several tiles at a time. But you'd still end up with cases where they don't fit all the time, so you'd have to do it again recursively. And then what you've got is a regular quadtree. [grin]

As a side note, pixel-perfect collision is overrated and creates a nasty dependancy between your gameplay and your art. You really don't want an artist to draw you a nice new sprite with a big fancy hat/haircut and suddenly find that the collision area stops you walking into confined spaces. If you must do pixel based collision, then use an entirely separate, non-visible, set of images.
Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
Quote:Original post by Captain P
With 100 moving objects, you end up with 10.000 checks per frame already.

It isn't quite 10,000. It's about half that. That's because if Object A has been checked against Object B, then Object B doesn't need to do the check again against Object A. So for 100 objects the number of checks would be 5050.

Depends on how you approach it. When you're moving objects and immediatly check if they can move, you'll get 10.000 checks, because you can't ignore any objects: there's no guarantee about their current position. A can move into B, and get pushed out. B can then move into A, and B needs to be pushed out as well. It needs to check against A in order to do so.

Only when you're moving all objects first, and then check if they're stuck and need to be moved out, you'll get a lot less checks, true. I'm not sure what implications that would have on the design of a collision system, but it's worth a look. Thanks. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Quote:Original post by catch
I was thinking of doing a grid-based system. My game (2d) has tiles that are 256x256. The server maintains a list of tiles in the game space, and within those tile squares there is a list of object IDs.

Only those object IDs, if there's more than 1, are tested against each other (and there are more filters from there, certain flags... such as stationary objects or non-collidable objects).

The problem with this method is when objects start to overlap multiple tiles. Do you add them into multiple tile lists? Possible, but tricky and time-consuming to manage. Or you can check in a fixed radius of tiles around each object, but that puts an upper limit on the size of any object within your world.

You could try putting objects that don't fit into another list, one covering several tiles at a time. But you'd still end up with cases where they don't fit all the time, so you'd have to do it again recursively. And then what you've got is a regular quadtree. [grin]

As a side note, pixel-perfect collision is overrated and creates a nasty dependancy between your gameplay and your art. You really don't want an artist to draw you a nice new sprite with a big fancy hat/haircut and suddenly find that the collision area stops you walking into confined spaces. If you must do pixel based collision, then use an entirely separate, non-visible, set of images.

I had thought of that same issue. My initial thought would be to yes, check the surrounding tiles if they contained an object. I'm (hopefully) not looking at much of a density problem, so the checking overall would be fairly small.

I wouldn't worry about recursive tests since testing will occur by the other objects shortly anyway, and I'd process per actor, per update, so I don't believe there would be a loss in visual accuracy. The order of checking would also make so each tile would only check four surrounding tiles, not all 8.

I'm sure there's faster or more organized methods. This is what I came up with.....

+1 on the per pixel thing... I think a combination of sphere/square bounds tends to be accurate enough, especially if you allow rotations (for boxes).
"Creativity requires you to murder your children." - Chris Crawford

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement