Process ocean's geometry

Started by
3 comments, last by filousnt 16 years, 9 months ago
HI, I'm making a ocean and seamless ocean. I wonder how to do it. I read something about this in this forum. But I don't get it clearly. Dose anyone explain more detail ? p.s. I'm planning to make ocean with perlin noise.
Advertisement
Moved to GP&T where it is more suited...

So it's the simulation rather than presentation that you're stuck with? There are two distinct parts to rendering bodies of water so best be clear on that.

If it is the simulation then, to be honest, your use of Perlin Noise is about as simple as it gets and it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Run a few different octaves (covering low-high) to get the detail and then animate the coefficients over time...

The next step up is to look into the physical simulations - Navier-Stokes being a name that comes to mind (haven't touched it myself though). A quick search pulled up this PDF that might be of interest here.

Do you have any specific questions? Explaining the whole technique could take a long time. Which papers/tutorials have you read? Which algorithms are you trying to implement? Any particular steps/equations that don't make sense?

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanks for moving my post here^^
Actually, I had a lot of question about
seamless ocean.
But because I don't know what I don't know,
That's why my question was unclear. I guess;

Water optical simulation and physical wave is ok.
( I mean not this time^^;)

so just wondering how to make endless ocean itself.
maybe it's similar with terrain technically,
But there are lots of terrain technique and
I think ocean is little bit different feature.
And also I didn't try to make large terrain,
that's why I'm wondering which technique is best way.

If you're using perlin noise, then you can easily find the height of the water surface at any point in your (near) endless ocean, so that's a good start. Then all you need to do is pick some points, set them to the appropriate height for the time and make polygons between them. That's all there is to it. Which points to pick, making what shapes of polygon is up for debate of course. A good start would be just a uniform grid around the camera. My advice would be to do that first, and only look around for better techniques that don't waste so many polygons in the distance once you have it working.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
What your are looking for is probably this :
http://graphics.cs.lth.se/theses/projects/projgrid/

This is a LOD technique for ocean rendering independant from what you use
for your simulation ( perlin, NSE, etc... ). The author use a noise texture
and the results are pretty good.

You may want to look at this one too :
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/GPU_Gems_2/GPU_Gems2_ch18.pdf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement