Building the proper PC

Started by
9 comments, last by kordova 16 years, 9 months ago
I am just starting out as a game programmer. I am looking into building my own PC that can support the things that I would like to do (basic graphics, compiling..etc). I was wondering what the specs would be to build a computer that can atleast decently accomplish these tasks. Thanks
Advertisement
Hmm, specs... I'm not sure, depends how patient you are. But really, get a good screen. Your comfort is the important thing.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
It also depends on what kind of game development you want to do. You won't need cutting edge technology for some 2d side-scrollers, but if you want to write complex shaders you'll need a fancy graphics card...

As I don't know your budget it's hard to actually go and recommend hardware, but I'd say that if you want your new PC to last a while I'd at least keep the following characteristics in mind:

- A multi core processor
- At least 1gig of ram
- Graphics card depends on what you want, see above
- A good screen, as RAZORUNREAL said, your comfort is important as well
foreach(IComputerPart part in possibleComputerParts){  if(part.ManufactureDate >= Time.Now() - Time.FromMonths(6) && thisProgrammer.IsBeginner)  {    acceptableParts.Add(part);  }}

(In other words, pretty much anything will work for you, you don't need blazing, high-end parts -- or even particularly good ones -- to do 90% of the development work you'll be doing, especially as a beginner. Chances are the machine you posted to this forum on is 100% acceptable.)

This is kind of the generalization of the principle that, if you need to ask what tools to buy, the answer is "none yet." This principle applies rather frequently in game development.
It doesn't matter, I started on an old crapbox and stuck with an old crapbox for several years. It's a pain, but you're just learning, so it's hard to justify a nicer machine.

Buy an old crapbox, upgrade it yourself, learn something about the hardware.

Later you can purchase a nicer machine. I highly recommend a modern Mac.
as the last post said, the cheapest PC made that is new is good enough ... with 1 exception ... those $300+ computers with only 512MB of RAM need more RAM. 1GB RAM or more. That's it.

Also, a really low end dual core, will be more smooth at running many things at once than a faster single core. So I recommend the computers in the $450-$800 range for people starting out. With 1-2GB RAM, Dual Core Proc. And then I always buy an after market video card for gaming, but that's more for the playing of games than the developing.
Thanks much guys.
Adding a little to what everyone else said:

Get a wide screen monitor. It's nice to have long lines of code fit all the way across the screen without having to scroll over.
Quote:Original post by Xai
as the last post said, the cheapest PC made that is new is good enough ... with 1 exception ... those $300+ computers with only 512MB of RAM need more RAM. 1GB RAM or more. That's it.

Not necessarily. If the OP already has a machine with only 512MB of RAM there is no need to upgrade. However if you're looking to buy a new machine then you should try to get 1GB, but for now 512MB is plenty. I can easily run 2 copies of Visual Studio 2008, 1 copy of Visual Studio 2005, WinAmp, Acrobat Reader and Firefox while debugging my own application with 1GB, so the OP should be able to run at least one copy of the development environment, do some debugging, and search for information on 512MB.

If you can run your OS and a couple of Microsoft Office programs then your computer is probably fine for development.

Quote:Get a wide screen monitor. It's nice to have long lines of code fit all the way across the screen without having to scroll over.

That can also be a problem. When having a wide screen monitor you may write very long lines which result in reduced readability of your code for everyone else. If I have to scroll horizontally to see text then my productivity goes down considerably. But a good monitor is definitely a good thing.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Later you can purchase a nicer machine. I highly recommend a modern Mac.

Ugh whats up with people and macs? Sure they are pretty, sure they are white. But when it comes to one of my LAN parties they are USELESS!! Excuse my ignorance, but I just don't see why anyone would use a Mac, besides being technically incompetent (no disrespect intended - thats just what I think of Macs). I mean.. I'm a gamer at heart, the Mac is death to me.

JM-
I highly suggest buying yourself a laptop. A crappy laptop if you are only gonna write 2D games. I've been coding for some time now and one thing I wish I could do is take my desktop outside on the porch and code there for a while. A change of scenery refreshes the mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement