What is with the linking on Visual 2005 C++?

Started by
13 comments, last by ajm113 16 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I am trying to get glut going on Visual Studios 2005, but I get these linking errors that I can't fix. What do these links do and how can I fix this? LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'winmm.lib'
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
Advertisement
Are you using the Express Edition? If so, you may be missing the Platform SDK which is not included in the default install.
L.I.G. == Life Is Good
Yes I have the express edition, but I don't have the sdk. The thing that bothers my about that sdk is that it takes up to much space if you just need a small amount of files, just to get something going...
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.
You can selectively choose which parts of the SDK you want to include/exclude. For example, you can probably get away with just the "core" module (can't remember exacty name) and exclude the Media SDK, Tablet PC SDK, Internet SDK, etc (again actual names may be different).
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
If you want something small, I advise DevC++.
Yeah I already had and played with that program with OpenGL. Works pretty nice if you ask me, but Visual Studio has to be my tool for now, because I also want to play in DirectX and I don't think Dev C++ supports that and I spent a hour or two trying to get DirectX going on that thing!
Vanilla Dev-C++ is a terrible IDE.

If you must avoid Microsoft's tools because of the download size (the sum total of the IDE + PlatformSDK is around the half-gig mark, more if you want DX as well), prefer Code::Blocks to Dev-C++. The wxDev-C++ project might be reasonable too, I haven't played with it. But plain Dev-C++ is not a good choice.

Keep in mind that it's possible you'll run into other issues with mingw (the compiler used by Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks by default); the mocked-up Platform SDK they ship with is heavily trimmed down, and things like the DX SDK are not supported well (as they may involve #pragma directives and extensions that mingw doesn't understand properly, and possibly different binary format issues -- I thought this used to be true, but now I'm not sure as I'm finding mixed results). If you need those things, and you don't mind the unfortunate 400MB download(*), you're better off just biting the bullet and getting it.

(*) It would be nice if they were able to split up the platform SDK into more discrete functional modules so you could only download the things you really wanted, but I doubt that will happen any time soon given the relative inexpensiveness of bandwidth and storage versus the expense of the major engineering effort it would take to detangle the SDK. Pity.
I just tested VC++ with the sdk and I still get the same error!!! :0
Check the Library Directories section of Visual Studio's Settings. Is the Platform SDK mentioned there? It may have gotten installed but not associated with Visual Studio.
L.I.G. == Life Is Good
Did you follow the post-install instructions here?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement