Access Cube Map's Mip Maps

Started by
2 comments, last by ilflyer12 16 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone. I am trying to create a new cube map from a mip map of another cube map. Basically i am trying to access a smaller mip level of a cube map and store it as another cube map. The reason is that i have data stored in a cube map that i can not just linearly interpolate on the GPU but instead need to do some other operations. Does anyone know how to copy a mip level from a cube? Currently, i have tried creating a new cube map and copying each mip map surface of the cube to it but i do not get correct results. If you can figure out what is wrong with this then I do not need another solution but ideally there has to be a simpler method to do this.

V_RETURN( D3DXCreateCubeTextureFromFileEx( pd3dDevice, strPath, 512, 10, 0, D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F, 
                                               D3DPOOL_MANAGED, D3DX_FILTER_LINEAR, D3DX_FILTER_LINEAR, 0, NULL, NULL, &m_pEnvironmentMap ) );

DWORD levelCount = m_pEnvironmentMap->GetLevelCount() - 1;

LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 faceSurface;
	LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 mipFaceSurface;
	int size = 1;

for (DWORD i = 0; i <= levelCount; i++)
	{
		D3DXCreateCubeTexture ( pd3dDevice, size, 1, 0, D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F, 
			D3DPOOL_MANAGED, &m_pEnvironmentMipMaps);

size *= 2;
	}// for
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ilflyer12
Hey everyone. I am trying to create a new cube map from a mip map of another cube map. Basically i am trying to access a smaller mip level of a cube map and store it as another cube map. The reason is that i have data stored in a cube map that i can not just linearly interpolate on the GPU but instead need to do some other operations. Does anyone know how to copy a mip level from a cube?

Currently, i have tried creating a new cube map and copying each mip map surface of the cube to it but i do not get correct results. If you can figure out what is wrong with this then I do not need another solution but ideally there has to be a simpler method to do this.

*** SNIP ***

I don't see where you're actually copying the texture data. All you're doing is creating a new cubemap for each level of the original cube, but you never initialize the data.

Also, you seem to assume that level 0 is the smallest, of size 1. That is incorrect. In general, level 0 should be the biggest one, but you shouldn't actually care about that. What you should be doing is calling GetLevelDesc for each level, to get a description of it's size, and creating a new texture using that size. Keep in mind that a texture doesn't have to have a 1x1 MIP map. A texture that's 16x16 can only have two MIP map surfaces, meaning a 16x16 surface and an 8x8 surface, and nothing else.

Other than that, maybe your error is in how you copy the data over between the two?

Hope this helps.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Sorry I was editing my code while i was pasting it and i forgot to include my call to UpdateSurface so here it is. Here is the code again but this time its all there. All i get is a blue surface and not the actual environment map.

DWORD levelCount = m_pEnvironmentMap->GetLevelCount() - 1;	LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 faceSurface;	LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 mipFaceSurface;	int size = 1;	for (DWORD i = 0; i <= levelCount; i++)	{		D3DXCreateCubeTexture ( pd3dDevice, size, 1, 0, D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F, 			D3DPOOL_MANAGED, &m_pEnvironmentMipMaps);		for (DWORD j = 0; j < 6; j++)		{			m_pEnvironmentMipMaps->GetCubeMapSurface((D3DCUBEMAP_FACES)j, 0, &faceSurface);			m_pEnvironmentMap->GetCubeMapSurface((D3DCUBEMAP_FACES)j, levelCount - i, &mipFaceSurface);			pd3dDevice->UpdateSurface(mipFaceSurface, NULL, faceSurface, NULL);		}// for				V( D3DXSaveTextureToFile( L"mipMap.dds", D3DXIFF_DDS, m_pEnvironmentMipMaps, NULL ) ); 		size *= 2;	}// for

Once again I appreciate the help.
Alright after messing with it for a while here is the solution i came up with. Just figured i would post it just in case anyone else had been wondering how to do it.

DWORD levelCount = m_pEnvironmentMap->GetLevelCount() - 1;	int size = 1;	for (DWORD i = 0; i <= levelCount; i++)	{		D3DXCreateCubeTexture ( pd3dDevice, size, 1, 0, D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F, 			D3DPOOL_MANAGED, &m_pEnvironmentMipMaps);		for (DWORD j = 0; j < 6; j++)		{			LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 faceSurface;			LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 mipFaceSurface;			m_pEnvironmentMipMaps->GetCubeMapSurface((D3DCUBEMAP_FACES)j, 0, &faceSurface);						m_pEnvironmentMap->GetCubeMapSurface((D3DCUBEMAP_FACES)j, levelCount - i, &mipFaceSurface);									V ( D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface (faceSurface, NULL, NULL, mipFaceSurface, NULL, NULL, D3DX_DEFAULT, 0 ) );			// Make sure it is writing properly			// V ( D3DXSaveSurfaceToFile (L"surface.dds", D3DXIFF_DDS, faceSurface, NULL, NULL) );			SAFE_RELEASE(faceSurface);			SAFE_RELEASE(mipFaceSurface);		}// for			V( D3DXSaveTextureToFile( L"mipMap.dds", D3DXIFF_DDS, m_pEnvironmentMipMaps, NULL ) ); 		size *= 2;	}// for

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement