Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Dungeon Keeper

Started by Bahlor Jul 31, 2007 at 1:45 PM 18 replies 2.8k views
Original Post
Bahlor
Bahlor
Hello Everybody, I asked myself if there are any projects with games that are similiar to good old Dungeon Keeper. It was an excellent game and it's really sad that there will be no 3rd part of this sweet game. If someone is working on a similiar game, I would really like to help out in any way^^ By the way, which one did you prefer, Dungeon Keeper I or II and what was your favourite unit? Sincerely, Chris
Vini,Vidi,Vici (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
sanch3x
sanch3x
From what I can remember Bullfrog was bought out by EA which then proceeded and cancel Dungeon Keeper 3.

I remember liking the first one better and my favourite unit was the warlock. I'd make huge libraries to let them study and learn huge spells. It was awesome.
Bahlor
Bahlor
ya that was definantly a really nice feature. It's really a shame that there will be no new DK. My favourite unit was bile deamon. (is this the correct name ? I only remember the german one).

Do you know anybody working on a fan project or a similiar project?
Vini,Vidi,Vici (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
RivieraKid
RivieraKid
great games. DKI was better imo, i think it had more units and the units fought amongst themselves alot more. Its strange we havent seen the same concept done since. I loved training up the dark mistress to lvl 10 then going behind enemy lines to kill imps.

You had to keep the Horned Reaper in his own private quarters otherwise he would kill most of your creatures. In DKII you could only summon him temporarily :(.

Capturing and converting enemy soldiers was fun OR Vampires/ghosts/skeletons - such choice!

I think there was a casino in DKII and when someone got the jackpot everyone would start doing funky dancing. That was great in first person.

Traps were cool too.

It would be hard to come up with a game which is the same conceptually but different graphically. Perhaps a 'Heaven VS Hell' area where you 'dig' out the area turning it into hell or heaven which some kind of resource (souls maybe) scattered around.
DrEvil
DrEvil
Evil genius shares some of the DK concept, and Overlord is a more action oriented take on being an evil overlord with some more distant similarities. It'd be nice to see the originals revived though.
Stani R
Stani R
I absolutely love Dungeon Keeper (the first one; second one hasn't been on sale here and I didn't get around to ordering it from anywhere). Despite terrible graphics (especially in first person mode), it had one of the most appealing gameplay mechanics of all games I've ever played, and the evil slant on it was simple ingenious. I spent many hours carefully planing and excavating complex dungeons. My only concern with it was that the game ran way too fast, probably a result of bad timing code and running it on a machine that is way beyond the specs it was designed for. Now if only Overlord didn't cost a leg and a half...
Uthman
Uthman
i absolutely loved dungeon keeper one; in fact it was instrumental to me being a game programmer. DK2 sucked something harsh..
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
crusadingknight
crusadingknight
About remakes: The Dungeon Digger project on sourceforge is actively working towards making a clone of some version (not explicitly mentioned) of Dungeon Keeper, but unfortunately needs a _lot_ of graphics help, and some programming (again, seemingly mainly graphics). Not exactly fit to be compared to Overlord or Evil Genius, at least yet, but since you asked for projects...

I can't comment on either of the original versions, as I've never played them, and the fact that it dies on wine keeps me from picking it up second hand.
Uthman
Uthman
just bust out one of your smaller, no-longer used hdds and drop an old winos on it. DK 1 was one of the only two games ive ever really wasted time playing. being a cs major, im surprised how much time people actually have to play games (especially on campus ). ive never really been one to play games (ive always considered myself more of a programmer) but when it comes to DK1, this is not the case at all. in fact...



ive no idea where you might find it now, but i picked mine up about 7 or 8 years ago at costco for like 6 bux
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
I never forgave EA for canceling Dungeon Keeper 3.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Deleter
Deleter
I played 1 I believe and loved it. Alas it wasn't mine and I never got very far in the game. However yeah evil genius comes to mind as a somewhat recent somewhat decent game with a similar idea behind it.
iceDeath
iceDeath
HEHE i still play DungeonKeeper 2
and i wont stop ontil ill finish it.

BTW. DungeonKeeper 3 can be created but i think EA GAMES wating for the right
time to relese it.
becuse every one loves this game and EA knows that every one will buy it
and they can make ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT OF MONEY from that game.

and lets not say EA games are stupid they know what to do to make money
they are not the same as MICROSOFT.
Bahlor
Bahlor
EA is stupid :p

Well doesn't anyone want to support Dungeon Digger a bit so its progress is coming a long more nicely? ^^ I wish I could help programming, but I can't program in c++ :( Also my 3d skills are not really noticable :D

What would your ideas for a new DK be? I personally think DK 2 had some nice ideas and it was also fun, but DK just cought me more than the second part. So a good mix of both games would make the perfect one. :)
Vini,Vidi,Vici (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
Bahlor
Bahlor
Anyone wanna make a Dungeon Keeper like game? :D :D :D
Vini,Vidi,Vici (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
SymLinked
SymLinked
Quote:
Original post by Bahlor
Anyone wanna make a Dungeon Keeper like game? :D :D :D


I know a friend who is making a clone but in a Sci-Fi setting which might not please everyone.

Bahlor
Bahlor
Quote:
Original post by SymLinked
Quote:
Original post by Bahlor
Anyone wanna make a Dungeon Keeper like game? :D :D :D


I know a friend who is making a clone but in a Sci-Fi setting which might not please everyone.


link? screens?^^
Vini,Vidi,Vici (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
Stani R
Stani R
Quote:
Original post by Bahlor
Anyone wanna make a Dungeon Keeper like game? :D :D :D


This thread made me install and play Dungeon Keeper again, so I'm fine for now :D
Bahlor
Bahlor
i wish i could pla it on my mac :(
Vini,Vidi,Vici (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
Karnot
Karnot
Quote:
Anyone wanna make a Dungeon Keeper like game? :D :D :D


I _AM_ thinking of creating something similar.

Or, to be more precise, a game with interaction level of Evil Genius, but fantasy-themed, on a smaller scale, and with accented tactical preparations phase.
Basically a cross of DK & Tower Defense.
Working title : "Warlock's Castle".

However, the only thing i have to show for it is a concept, which is only 50% done, at the moment.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.