Server Side using VS2005 ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Zimans 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys, I want to make some basic online 1 vs. 1 multiplayer games, like card games such as Poker. I'd like to use Flash on the client side but I don't know too much about the server side. I am quite proficient in C(++) and Windows programming. Can I do all the server side stuff using VS2005 in C(++) ? Do I make a console program that runs continuously ? I need some guidance. I don't mind the learning curve, I just want to make sure I start off on the right foot. Thanks.
Advertisement
Yes, I believe you're on the right track. If you're using Actionscript 3.0 on the Flash side of things, its very easy to get your communication going using the new Socket class. In AS2, you can use the XMLSocket class, but its a bit more clunky.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
For C++, a while loop will be sufficient. Look up using either a network library or winsock. Make sure you know how to program before attempting a game though. In AS3 it's fairly easy actually to get things working client side. Make sure to read up on policy files.
While you CAN write the server in C++, for a turn-based game like Poker, you really want to use a web server or application server, and write your server code as an application within that framework. Whatever you choose for the application or web server doesn't matter as much, as long as you can talk to it from AS3. I would probably start with Apache/PHP, just because that's what I'm most familiar with.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
You may want to look into flex and the flex messaging and rpc components. flex is as3 but without the flash gui, so I think you could still use these components in a standard flash game.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/201/html/messaging_intro_101_2.html#126850

--Zims

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement