creating alpha channel for tree in PaintshopPro

Started by
3 comments, last by ade-the-heat 16 years, 8 months ago
I've got a tree. I want to create a billboard texture from it so that the tree itself is not transparent but the 'white' color around the tree is see through. PaintShop Pro help doesn't seem to helpful. The long hard way is to use the free hand selection and carefully go round the outside of the tree until it's selected. Sounds painful - especially as I have loads of trees to do. Is there an easy way of doing this ? eg set all alpha channel to zero for white color and 1.0 for non-white ? cheers
Advertisement
The "magic wand" tool will let you do a 'flood' selection based on the RGB value of where you click it. Fiddle with the tolerance and feather settings and you should be able to get a nice antialiased yet crisp edge.
Mask -> Create from Image

Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
The "magic wand" tool will let you do a 'flood' selection based on the RGB value of where you click it. Fiddle with the tolerance and feather settings and you should be able to get a nice antialiased yet crisp edge.
Be careful with the feathering, or you will get a ring around the edges. I live in PSP, I see this all the time.
ok I'm still lost.
I don;'t have time to get used to PSPro as I'm doing programming and and model creation as well.
I found the magic wand. Half of the tree went shimmery. The bottom half stayed the same. After that I messed with the feather but nothing really did anything.
I also did the create image thing but still nothing happened that I could see.

Are there easy steps to this ? You'll have to humour me.
So do the magic wand - half of the tree shimmers. Then create somthinh from image (has about 4 options none of which did anything really). Then set the alpha value for the part of the image which isn't the tree (how ?). Then sav e it to png (how? I tried this and it came up withmore options that didn't do anything. Also remember I want the alpbha channel saved as well).

cheers

Done !
It was easy.

[Edited by - ade-the-heat on August 20, 2007 4:49:25 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement