Projekt "W" - Phase 1 released

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 16 years, 7 months ago
Important note : I had to release an updated version as the original one would crash if you had a resolution with 5:4 aspect ratio and if you won or lost a game (the game wouldn't find the appropriate music file and crashes). So if you encounter any of those problems please redownload. If you only have crashes with the missing music files you can also just turn of music in the options. Following up my IOTD for my current game I just released "Phase 1" of Projekt "W". I wrote down what the game is about in that thread and there are in-depth information on the official page. It took me roughly a year (started somewhere in august 2006) to finish this (at least "Phase 1", "Phase 2" will follow in 2008) and I worked on this in almost every free hour I had to spare. Except for the music I did everything myself, so this game is kinda like my child and letting it go public was a hard step to take, so I hope you enjoy it. And in case you're wondering : it's freeware. One thing in advance : This was my most ambitious and complex project since I started coding (some 15 years ago or so) and I don't have a whole QA department to test out the game. So though I did extensive testings with two different PCs and 4 different graphics boards I'm sure that there are still some bugs left and balancing may need some adjustments. So if you encounter any problems please post them and I'll try to fix them with an upcoming patch. Download and more information : I have set-up an official page for the game over at my homepage. You'll find the download there as well as a lot of additional information. Download is for win32 only, the game has been coded with Borland's Delphi so no cross-platform support for now. A short summary : Projekt "W" is a turn-based strategy game that's set in a fictional future where the whole world-political situation has gone hostile. Due to the recent happenings there are only five huge nations left and each of this nation want's to claim it's right for world-domination. So it's the player's turn to choose a nation and lead it to world-domination. You need to manage your regions, put up armies to take over enemy regions, research new technologies, spy on your enemies, manage your stuff and much more. The game can either be played alone against computer-controlled enemies or in hotseat-mode with up to five human players (missing slots can be filled up with AI-controlled players). Some screenshots (more on the game's page : [Edited by - SaschaWillems on August 15, 2007 7:02:32 AM]
Advertisement
Patch 1.1 :
The first release sadly included some bugs and problems so after releasing the game I quickly started to work on a first patch. And I just finished this patch and uploaded it, together with uploading a fixed full-install package. So if you have Projekt "W" (Hotfix 1.01) installed please get the update, otherwise just download the whole installer-package. It's strongly recommended to update as the patch fixes a lot of problems that did hurt the overall gaming experience.

• See the changelog for 1.1

• Patch from 1.01 to 1.1 (Win32 installer, ~3.5 MBytes)

• Projekt "W" - Phase 1 - Version 1.1 complete package (Win32 installer, ~30 MBytes)

• Seems like a promising project! I was wondering, why the date for Phase 2 is 2008? Isn't that a bit too long?
    I've chosen such a "late" date for Phase 2 cause especially with a more complex project, it's hard to predict a correct release date. Besides the fact that I want to implement a lot of additional features and content there are usually tons of things that force you to push back your release dates. So in order not to have people wait and being disappointed because I'm not able to hold on to my release dates I just set them so that I have enough time. And I also want collect feedback for "Phase 1" for some weeks after it's release before starting to work on "Phase 2" in order to have a stable base (in terms of bug, and a lot of bugs have been reported after release) and a well balanced gameplay to built upon.
    Patch 1.2 :
    I just released patch 1.2 for Projekt "W". This one adds an extensive in-game tutorial that'll teach you the basics of the game. It also fixes a lot of bugs and problems with the AI and the army mangement. So it shouldn't crash anymore, and the AI should be more of a challenge now. Besides this there have been a lot of changes and additions, so this patch should make the gameplay experience even more enjoyable.

• See the changelog for 1.2

• Patch from 1.11 to 1.2 (Win32 installer, ~4 MBytes)

• Projekt "W" - Phase 1 - Version 1.2 complete package (Win32 installer, ~34 MBytes)
  • This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement