fixed pipeline texture blending

Started by
10 comments, last by therealremi 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by therealremi
The key hack for me was to use a format for C (the mask) which contains alpha only - fortunately DirectX supports such format.
Are you refering to D3DFMT_A8? If so, you might want to be careful - prior to the GeForce 6-series and Radeon 9500's this isn't supported. That is, every piece of hardware where you might be required to use fixed-func blending because pixel shaders aren't available won't allow this trick [wink]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Original post by therealremi
The key hack for me was to use a format for C (the mask) which contains alpha only - fortunately DirectX supports such format.
Are you refering to D3DFMT_A8? If so, you might want to be careful - prior to the GeForce 6-series and Radeon 9500's this isn't supported. That is, every piece of hardware where you might be required to use fixed-func blending because pixel shaders aren't available won't allow this trick [wink]

hth
Jack

Yes, I meant D3DFMT_A8. Thanks for pointing out this to me.
But this single channel alpha format is just for users, so that they don't get confused when editing a mask. Internally this alpha information can be put into more compatible format (but still only alpha channel will be used).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement