Compressed quaternions

Started by
15 comments, last by Dave Eberly 11 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Promethium
Doom 3's MD5 file format stores unit quaternions as 3 floats: x, y and z. Using those three it's easy to find the fourth since x*x + y*y + z*z + w*w = 1.

There are a couple of issues with this. First you need an additional sign bit to distinguish between w being posive and negative, both of which are possible. You can avoid this though by checking the sign of w before compressing and if it's negative multiply the whole quaternion by -1, so w is always positive and you take the positive square root when decompressing. But this can cause problems for some data - e.g. by introducing jumps into a sequence of keyframes of an animation, requiring extra checks when interpolating them.

Another issue is the formula

w = sqrt( 1 - x^2 + y^2 + z^2 )

In not uniformly accurate - the larger D^2 = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) is, and the smaller w is, the worse the error. you can show this numerically but the easiest way is to consider the derivate, e.g. of w with respect to x

dw/dx = -x / sqrt( 1 - D^2)

If D^2 = 0.25, x= 0.5
dw/dx = -2/3
if D^2 = 0.99, x = 0.5
dw/dx = 50

This means the rate of change of w with respect to x (or y or z) increases significantly as w approaches zero. This impacts the accuracy of it, as fp and rounding errors are multiplied by this, so near zero calculations of w are increasingly inaccurate. One solution is to store X, Y and z more accurately, using e.g. doubles, but this is not much use for compression.

A better solution is to store the smallest three of X, Y, Z and W, with a couple of bits to say which you've stored. In 32 bits this needs 10 bits per float, 2 bits to select the largest and so which three are stored, by e.g. describing how many times {X, Y, Z, W} needs to be permuted after decompression.
John BlackburneProgrammer, The Pitbull Syndicate
Advertisement
Now that's what I'm talking about. Food for thoughts. Thanks John.

Everything is better with Metal.

Consider fitting N quaternions with a B-spline curve with M control points, where M is much smaller than N. You send the M control points, and the receiver uses them either to (approximately) reconstruct the N quaternions from the B-spline curve or to interpolate with the B-spline curve itself to generate quaternions on demand.

The document, Least Squares Fitting of Data with B-Spline Curves. On interpolation, you need to normalize the value returned by the B-spline curve; the fitted curve is close to a curve on the unit hypersphere, but is not exactly on that hypersphere.

This works quite well for compression of animation keyframes. I imagine it will work as well for network transmission, as long as N is large.

If N is small, why not just convert to half-floats? Even for N large, you can do the B-spline fit *and* convert the control points to half-floats.
Just multiply up the values by 255 and store in a byte, or multiply them up to 65535 and store in a word for better precision. We store them in a word at work to save on memory - as animation is taking up a lot of memory in our current game - its all mocap.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
One thing you might want to think about is the perceptional side to compression.

In other words don't just drop bits, but allocate the bits to what will be noticed the most.

Angles near parallel to the current view angle need more precision than angles perpendicular to the current viewing angle....

_|imothy Farrar :: www.farrarfocus.com/atom

Consider fitting N quaternions with a B-spline curve with M control points, where M is much smaller than N. You send the M control points, and the receiver uses them either to (approximately) reconstruct the N quaternions from the B-spline curve or to interpolate with the B-spline curve itself to generate quaternions on demand.

The document, Least Squares Fitting of Data with B-Spline Curves. On interpolation, you need to normalize the value returned by the B-spline curve; the fitted curve is close to a curve on the unit hypersphere, but is not exactly on that hypersphere.

This works quite well for compression of animation keyframes. I imagine it will work as well for network transmission, as long as N is large.

If N is small, why not just convert to half-floats? Even for N large, you can do the B-spline fit *and* convert the control points to half-floats.

hi,any details about quaternions fitting with Bezier curve or B-Spline? . i just don't konw how to calculate the control points. in 3-D space, i do it with least square method, thanks

hi,any details about quaternions fitting with Bezier curve or B-Spline? . i just don't konw how to calculate the control points. in 3-D space, i do it with least square method, thanks

The PDF link is still active, and it discusses the fitting algorithm for N-dimensional quantities (for quaternions, N = 4). It is the same math as for 3-D space (N=3). As mentioned, the fitted curve is close to the unit hypersphere but not always exactly on it, so you can evaluate and then normalize. My website has sample code for fitting in 3D, but the code can be extended easily to quaternions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement