Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

this has got to be some weird joke

Started by soconne Sep 6, 2007 at 11:27 PM 37 replies 4.3k views
owl
owl
ok.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
shotgunnutter
shotgunnutter
Nah... I'd say its a joke, except its not; This is actually in development and is going to be released pretty soon. Politically incorrect though it may be, I don't really care. Its pretty harmless.

Consequently, anybody who posts on this thread will get rated down.
uh oh
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
dashurc
dashurc
That's kinda weird. Mainly because it's in your face about it. It's not really any different than the 99.9% of all games where the cast of characters is all white though.
shotgunnutter
shotgunnutter
I warn you, anybody posting here WILL (and I just did) get rated down.

A lot of people will get very angry about this, but ultimately its just another video game full of stereotypes. I predict that this thread will become too controversial and get closed or deleted.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
So far it hasn't, though. Maybe we're not telling the right jokes. So, two black football players walk into a bar...
shotgunnutter
shotgunnutter
put it this way, somebody here is gonna say something to start a flame war. I'm just waiting for it to happen.
I'm glad the anonymous poster thing was disabled here.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Sneftel
Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by shotgunnutterI warn you, anybody posting here WILL (and I just did) get rated down.

A lot of people will get very angry about this, but ultimately its just another video game full of stereotypes. I predict that this thread will become too controversial and get closed or deleted.

Quote:
Original post by shotgunnutter
put it this way, somebody here is gonna say something to start a flame war. I'm just waiting for it to happen.
I'm glad the anonymous poster thing was disabled here.

Why are you so much more interested in discussing discussions than the actual topic?
shotgunnutter
shotgunnutter
OK allow me to explain myself. I apologize if I sounded too cynical.

The game in question, when released, is going to be highly controversial. Its going to make a lot of people say a lot of things they will later regret, both here on the forums and in other circles, and many people here will take it too seriously. They won;t see it for what it is: a game. They'll interpret it as something else entirely.
I wanted to warn people about what will happen once the thread picks up, and NOT to post about their political beliefs.

here is an example of how this thread could turn out. Racist slurs start halfway down the first page.


I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Ainokea
Ainokea
Quote:
Original post by shotgunnutter
OK allow me to explain myself. I apologize if I sounded too cynical.

The game in question, when released, is going to be highly controversial. Its going to make a lot of people say a lot of things they will later regret, both here on the forums and in other circles, and many people here will take it too seriously. They won;t see it for what it is: a game. They'll interpret it as something else entirely.
I wanted to warn people about what will happen once the thread picks up, and NOT to post about their political beliefs.

here is an example of how this thread could turn out. Racist slurs start halfway down the first page.


Thanks for comparing us to another forum that has a different culture than GDNet.
______________With the flesh of a cow.
shotgunnutter
shotgunnutter
Well, I'm posting HERE instead of there, so you shouldn't be offended.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Mantrid
Mantrid
now although i dont see anything wrong with it, i don't really see any gain for the company in marketing a game specifically as only having one race of characters unless you're trying to appeal to the black demographic, which even then i don't think would overshadow any potential controversy, and again even then if it's a shit game it doesnt matter what gimmicks you try and give it

gotta admit though, if i saw it on demo in a shop i'd give it a whirl, just to see exactly what makes it so different and i dont even like american sports, so it's quite obvious it supports the old addage that any publicity is good publicity, if they'd marketted it as "ambidextrous footballers xtreem" none of us would even have heard of it

edit: i dont see why anyone would get rated down for posting in a thread dissecting and analysing a game idea. isn't this what this site is all about?!
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Mantrid
edit: i dont see why anyone would get rated down for posting in a thread dissecting and analysing a game idea. isn't this what this site is all about?!

He's been here for something like 2 weeks. What does he know about the discussion dynamic here?

This (Black Colleges) seems to be a big issue right now. I heard people on at least 2 different radio shows discussing it within the last few weeks, and I rarely listen to the radio. Something about the NAACP thinks that Black-only colleges are a great idea.

Seperate but equal FTJCW!
Mantrid
Mantrid
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Something about the NAACP thinks that Black-only colleges are a great idea.



a lot less gun violence than white schools!!!!

(shamelessly stolen off chris rock)


i didnt realise there were actually black-only colleges; i'm not really knowledgeable on american culture. suppose that explains a lot.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Mantrid
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Something about the NAACP thinks that Black-only colleges are a great idea.



a lot less gun violence than white schools!!!!

(shamelessly stolen off chris rock)


i didnt realise there were actually black-only colleges; i'm not really knowledgeable on american culture. suppose that explains a lot.

Yeah, they actually grew in popularity AFTER the desegregation movement, it's rather odd. I'd say that people would be outraged by an all-white school, but then I've seen my sister's college. I don't know its actual demographics, but it *has* to be 98% stupid, white frat boys.
Mantrid
Mantrid
well it could be the same as my school. our school is apparently now an "open" school where anyone can apply if they live in the area

in reality though no one wants to run the risk of being the only protestant going to that place, i went there for 7 years hiding the fact i had an english father!

Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
I hadn't heard about the black college thing. It does sound a little weird, though. I suppose that homogenizing the racial demographic could be a way to control the culture, like forbiding drinking or requiring students to attend chapel or even just restricting it to one gender or the other.

The thing that makes this stand out, in my mind, is that in order for it to fall in line with the other restrictions, it has to imply that there's a fundamental difference between student candidates based solely on race, which is not a popular thing to say. I don't even know the names of any black colleges, but what's their stated rationale for categorically rejecting non-black applicants?

Punchline: Is Barack Obama black enough to get in?
Ravuya
Ravuya
I thought desegregation made it illegal to deny entrance to a higher education facility based on race. Or does that not apply to private schools?
fpsgamer
fpsgamer
Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
I hadn't heard about the black college thing. It does sound a little weird, though. I suppose that homogenizing the racial demographic could be a way to control the culture, like forbiding drinking or requiring students to attend chapel or even just restricting it to one gender or the other.

The thing that makes this stand out, in my mind, is that in order for it to fall in line with the other restrictions, it has to imply that there's a fundamental difference between student candidates based solely on race, which is not a popular thing to say. I don't even know the names of any black colleges, but what's their stated rationale for categorically rejecting non-black applicants?

Punchline: Is Barack Obama black enough to get in?


Iron Chef Carnage you're missing the point entirely. You act as though when legislation was passed to make rights for blacks their situation in America instantly became better.

It just so happens when people are not welcome in the available societies/schools/groups, they make their own societies/schools/groups.

Granted, these colleges are not as necessary as they were before. But the time when they were necessary was not that long ago, and these schools won't just simply disappear.

Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Yeah, they actually grew in popularity AFTER the desegregation movement


Umm do you not remember how ostracized blacks were after desegregation? They instantly became targets and outcasts in white schools. Blacks in white schools were in actual physical danger. No wonder they wanted out.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I thought desegregation made it illegal to deny entrance to a higher education facility based on race. Or does that not apply to private schools?


You're misunderstanding the term "Black College". These colleges were founded because blacks were either denied entrance or made unwelcome in existing schools. They never have and never will explicitly deny admission to non-blacks. This is why these schools are now more precisely referred to "Historically Black Colleges".

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.