Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How Doom made me an efficient killer...

Started by Mithrandir Apr 23, 2001 at 10:14 AM 35 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Well, I must confess, all those years of playing Doom have made me a cold, efficient, ruthless and relentless killer. Doom taught me how to reload and clean weapons, it taught me where to find illegal automatic firearms and explosives. Doom taught me how to aim a rifle. Doom taught me how to hate my classmates so much that i want to kill them. Oh... wait a minute, doom didn''t do that at all! All doom taught me to do was move a mouse to make a guy run around a fake martian world shooting zombies and fearing radioactive barrels! fucking retards only want money, not justice. =============================================== Have I no control, is my soul not mine? Am I not just man, destiny defined? Never to be ruled, nor held to heel!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham
Just don''t tell them about CounterStrike. Erkkk

If everythings possible then it becomes impossible to have the impossible so not everything can be possible right? Or if everythings possible then the impossible no longer exists. Is that possible?
nes8bit
nes8bit
Good God. CS is r34l1st1c. It''s way too realistic to deathmatch properly.

yes it shows you how to reload (kinda)
yes it shows you how to steal weapons (gotta kill someone first)
yes it shows you how to aim a gun with a mouse


oh yeah none of this is very bad either....mith is right! They want our fucking money!

Burn em all to hell!!!! (Oh they''ll end up there anyway. Nevermind that last statement.)

---------------------------------------------
Resist {noun}
Facehat
Facehat
Not only that, but it''s trained me in use of my left hand by causing carpel tunnel syndrom! Hooray!

Impossible
Impossible
actually you didn''t even have to aim in Doom, as long as there was a monster on the screen you would hit it. In Doom you would automatically reload, so although the reload animations from the shotgun might teach you something, I doubt you could apply it to real life. The thing that pisses me off the most about this "blame doom" (sometimes Quake) phenomenome is that people are really just dropping pop culture names. Something like Counter-Strike, or Silent Scope is a lot closer to a "killing simulation" then the cartoon style violence of something like Doom or Quake...
monkeyman
monkeyman
Let''s not forget how demeaning this is to the killers..they let this build up inside them for so long, were so determined that they were going to make a statement, they took the plunge, they did what they did, and the world simply said,

"Oh, it must have been those video games.."

That TOTALLY removes any focus from their real motivations..look at all that they did in order to make a statement to the world, thinking that if they killed people then society would take them seriously..AND NOBODY GOT IT..

I''m sure if you could ASK any of these kids WHY they did what they did, I''m sure they would have REASONS and MOTIVATIONS and SOME type of rationale to justify their actions..

In EACH one of these school shootings THERE WAS A PRE-EXISTING MOTIVE..

It doesn''t matter how OLD you are, people have been killing each other since the dawn of mankind..it''s absolutely ridiculous to say,"Well, your situation doesn''t seem like a valid reason to ME, so what''s the REAL reason you shot those other kids?"..

If the media tried to pull this shit with adult crimes it wouldn''t happen..did they ask Jeffrey Dahmer what kinds of video games he played?..after all, the Columbine croud had SOME reason(albeit bad ones), J.D didn''t have ANY real motivations..between the 2 I''d supect HE was the one under some evil external influence..

They try to present this as if these kids had no pre-existing problems, saw these video games, and decided to play deathmatch at school..BULLSHIT..

Kids kill for the same reasons adults do..this is nothing but age discrimination.


"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
Moe
Moe
...Just like doom taught me that it is safe to stand 11 feet away from a barrel thats eploding, but if I stand 10 feet away it hurts. Or that radioactive waiste doesn''t cause cancer with prolonged exposure.

Give me a break. I am sick of people badmouthing games because they can get a little graphic. And you are trying to tell me that TV isn''t any different? Give me a break. If people want to do bad things, they will do them regardless of mass media or games.

firahs
firahs
SilentScope is a fun game...

Null and Void
Null and Void
quote:
Original post by PhireBat

never mind cs, just hope they dont get their hands on soldier of fortune, hehe


Shoot someone in the stomach, their intestines can hang out . I was given a copy of the game by the Senior Programmer (I lost his business card), that''s probably the only reason I get to play it (not that my parents would object or anything, I just normally don''t put money down on first person shooters, I save it for RPG''s and dev tools), and I''m glad I did.

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
nes8bit
nes8bit
quote:
Original post by firahs

SilentScope is a fun game...




You have been reported to the FBI
If I really did that then I wouldn''t something something huh? Got you scared? Ok I didn''t...but that''s not the point. The point is. Awe crap I need to stop posting while I''m tired.

---------------------------------------------
Resist {noun}
dwarfsoft
dwarfsoft
I think that the question these people should be asking themselves is if THEIR children play video games too. If games are to blame, then obviously the targets (who are also game players) would be experienced enough to get out of the way right? Or maybe they just thought they could reincarnate? If the latter then I think the gunmen should be suing the parents of the dead kids! (j/k - and I mean no offence, so please don''t flame me *wimper*)

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Whoa... nice point.


Doom taught me how to get the hell out of the way when someone is shooting a rocket at you!

So, in reality, its the killed kids fault for NOT playing Doom!

I still say the entire columbine jock population should be arrested for fucking up their minds, instead of being victimized. Yeah, its John Carmacks fault for fucking up their minds... right... okay...

Problem is, Jocks are immortalized by our society. They cannot possibly do anything wrong...


god, They should have shot up the homecomming dance instead. That way, everyone who still deserved to live would not have been there.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
nes8bit
nes8bit
LOL

---------------------------------------------
Resist {noun}
Ironblayde
Ironblayde
All these blithering sheep who think Doom makes kids kill each other should come read that "Issues at school lead to insanity" thread that Dwarfsoft started a few months back. Kids kill each other because most high school kids are bastards, and many think it''s funny to pick out a few people and target them for ridicule, beatings, and whatever else they can think of that might be amusing. If parents don''t want schools being shot up, maybe they should do some fucking parenting and raise their kids not to be such assholes.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Down with Tiberia!
"All your women are belong to me." - Nekrophidius
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Hase
Hase
Case study: me

grew up playing wolfenstein and doom and other nasty stuff (includig digger and space invaders)

enjoyed halflife immensely, played SOF on occasions, loved sniper scope (allthough he thinks it´s a very, very bad thing and morally corruptive)

Is now playing Firearms (when he has the time) and laughs like a maniac when he shoots someone in the head

has not exhibited any violent tendencies so far


prognosis: will probably snap any moment, extremely dangerous because games have given him the knowledge and skill to use firearms, the motivation for senseless slaughter (uh?) and the knowledge that he can get away clean if he blames computer games.


Well... at least in america i could

still... all that nasty stuff didnt do me any harm? why? cause i´m a well-balanced individual and my parents were always nice to me.
So, by my very own simple way of logic i deduce: can´t be the games that make ´em crazy
Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham
quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
Doom taught me how to get the hell out of the way when someone is shooting a rocket at you!



Classic!


If everythings possible then it becomes impossible to have the impossible so not everything can be possible right? Or if everythings possible then the impossible no longer exists. Is that possible?
submonkey
submonkey
quote:
Original post by Ironblayde
Kids kill each other because most high school kids are bastards, and many think it''s funny to pick out a few people and target them for ridicule, beatings, and whatever else they can think of that might be amusing. If parents don''t want schools being shot up, maybe they should do some fucking parenting and raise their kids not to be such assholes.
-Ironblayde



No way man. Little Johnny would never bully anyone. He''s the sweetest nicest kid in the world. Helps old ladies across the street. Everyone likes him, and he''s on the varsity team this year. That''s why we bought him that brand new car.

It was your wacko nutbag kid that has no friends and sits up in his room all day in front of that damn computer and dresses like a circus sideshow and listens to that crazy music. Your kid''s the fucked up one, not mine.

It''s all your kids fault. Little Johnny''s everybodies friend and your kid couldn''t stand it ''cause he''s a freak and has no friends. So he killed little Johnny just like in those sick twisted video games he''s always playing...and you are bad parents and a bad society for not keeping that crap out of your kids head, and it got little Johnny killed. Bastards.

Mezz
Mezz
The lawsuit is bollocks, how many people play videogames?
now how many of these people go out and kill people?

Was ''Arlene'' a character in Doom?

They blamed the music of some artists at the time of the incident - is there a lawsuit against them?

Why does everything on videogame violence have to mention Doom - maybe its because it has really realistic enemies and loads of gore and is very recent and gets played a lot*.


-Mezz

* I''ll concede to the last point in that string.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.