Is there such a position as a game designer?

Started by
3 comments, last by 4thDimension 16 years, 7 months ago
Hi, A few questions if I may: 1) Do game companies have a full-time position for a game designer? 2) What encapsulates game design? Are more technical designs involving designing the classes classed as part of game design or is that technical design? 3) If there is such a position as a game designer, what do they do once the game is designed and is in full production? Thanks. 4D
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by 4thDimension
1) Do game companies have a full-time position for a game designer?

I can't answer officially. But if I had a game company, the answer would be no. Designers need to know how everything works. What better way for them to practice that than by helping.

Quote:2) What encapsulates game design? Are more technical designs involving designing the classes classed as part of game design or is that technical design?

Classes as in programming language? That's not part of game design. That's just code structuring and organisation. That's most likely the lead programmer's job.

Quote:3) If there is such a position as a game designer, what do they do once the game is designed and is in full production?

The game is never fully designed and in full production until the last five minutes.
Anonymous person wrote:
>1) Do game companies have a full-time position for a game designer?

Sure.

>2) What encapsulates game design?

Read FAQ 14 at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson14.htm

>Are more technical designs involving designing the classes classed as part of game design or is that technical design?

I'm a game designer, and I don't know what you're talking about - it sounds like a programming task to me.

>3) If there is such a position as a game designer, what do they do once the game is designed and is in full production?

It depends.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1) As a full time Game Designer, I can say that yes, my job does exist.

2) I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you say "designing the classes". What classes are you referring to? Characters classes for an RPG? Yes, that would be a game designer's job. Classes as in code classes? That would be the lead programmer or technical director.

3) Once a game enters full production you keep designing! You bounce between your publisher, the programmers, the artist, and QA and make sure everything is going as you designed and so that the publisher's needs/wants are being met. If something isn't working technical or artistically then you work with the lead programmer or lead artist to figure out what to do about it. You'll probably also begin work on the next title as well.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thank you all for your answers. :)

4D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement