Bounding Box Questions

Started by
9 comments, last by Kest 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by techcoast
Is it better to have 6 sided boxes become the walls and outside edges, or is it okay to have a box with the normals flipped and have the walls generate from open edges?

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean like this?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

If so, there wouldn't be any advantage to doing what's on the left.

Quote:Original post by techcoast
I probably should mention this too. My programmer tells me that when there are multiple characters within the scene that each character "ticks". If there are too many "ticks" going on then the collision detection becomes late and that's what allows the character to fall through the world.

Eh, that's bad. That sounds like the collision system doesn't take motion into account. Meaning everything is checked as a static object, and when moving fast enough - or enough time flies by in one update frame, they can pass through walls. If [object velocity x time] is greater than the size/radius of the object's collision primitive, the object's movement through a wall won't be detected.

If that's actually what's happening, the only way to fix it without changing the detection system would be to restrict the speed of objects or the amount of time that can pass in one update. It would have nothing to do with the models.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement